Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop models to predict lifetime of lithium ion cells using semi-empirical for cycling and calendar life.
- Predict lifetime of lithium ion cells and packs under different usage and operating conditions.
- Model thermal behavior of the cell and pack and their effect to battery cell lifetime.
- Design of experiment to validate/calibrate models at cell/pack levels.
- Develop specifications for cell that meets lifetime target for Rivian’ vehicle.
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
- Mentor cell modelers and cell engineers.
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium ion cells and beyond in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- At least 2 years of industrial experience in modeling the cell’s lifetime.
- Strong understanding about electrochemistry and thermal of lithium ion cells.
- Experience with COMSOL is a plus.
- Experience in module/pack modeling is a plus.
- Experience in SOC, SOH, SOP prediction is a plus.
- Deep knowledge of using DQdV. dVdQ to identify degradation/failure mode of lithium ion cell.
- Strong understanding about degradation mechanism of lithium ion cells.
- Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Strong understanding about the relationship between pack design and its’ performance and lifetime.
- Familiar with potentiostat, cyclers and electrochemical characterization.
- Experience in Python, MATLAB/Simulink.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team.
- Excellent communication skill.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.