Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Characterize safety characteristics of cells and coordinate with other internal/external groups on safety characterization of module/pack.
- Analyze DFMEA of the cell, pack and module to understand the failure possibility and design of experiment accordingly to characterize safety aspects.
- Develop test plan and execute tests for abuse cases.
- Analyze testing data, draw conclusion and make concise report/summary and present it; Make recommendation to improve/mitigate the risks.
- Work with engineers and technicians to develop proper test fixture to access safety properties of the cells.
- Working closely with cell engineers to characterize electrical properties of cells, module and pack.
- Keep safety standards up to date.
- Develop Rivian own safety testing procedure and safety standard.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry/chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or materials science and minimum of 3 years of battery safety experience in academia/industrial.
- Strong knowledge on safety regulations of different organizations/countries, experience on building/acquiring equipment and running safety tests.
- Familiar with operation conditions of EV batteries, experience of converting them into thermal and mechanical reliability test requirements, design test matrixes and carry out tests.
- Deep understanding on FMEA (DFMEA and PFMEA) related to safety and reliability failures and hands on skills in FA.
- Familiar with module and pack structure so that can enforce safety protections (electrical, mechanical and thermal) for battery cells in pack / modules design.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about safety aspect of cell/module/pack. Willing to make extra effort to get the job done.
- Good communication skill; having good time management skill.
- Hands-on; experience in set up experiments, basic knowledge of maintaining safety test equipment.
- CAD experience in software, like Solidworks and CATIA is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.