Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Working within the Advanced Concept team. You will be responsible for the conceptual design of new vehicle systems and high-level vehicle concepts
- The lead advanced concept designer representative for your functional area as well as high level vehicle concepts.
- Working with the company’s 3D CAD system (Catia V6), you will generate design schemes and drawings to enable new concepts to be effectively communicated to team members and Directors
- Support concept design meetings (formal or ad-hoc), with design proposals and ideas
- Share ideas and support all levels of design and development progression, at all stages of the design and development process
- Lead concept design activities, including providing direction to internal staff and external contractors and suppliers
- Research new technology developments and determine suitability for the company’s internal technology roadmaps
- Generating initial design, layout and geometry creation of advanced engineering components at both full vehicle and vehicle system level
- Lead collaborative development of advanced concept content including interface with the advanced engineering, packaging, studio design, advanced manufacturing and customer experience teams
- Support to company’s design and development process to ensure correct integration of new concepts to production realization
- Where necessary support early supplier discussions, selection and development, ensuring correct engagement for feasibility and programme delivery
- Supporting the development of best practice design and be a champion for good, efficient, fundamental engineering design of vehicle parts and systems.
- An understanding of the automotive design and development process
- Minimum 10 years’ of progressively responsible experience in testing and validation with demonstrated experience and success
- An understanding of whole vehicle, component and system requirements, together with the package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems
- An understanding of vehicle attributes and their affect to vehicle design and customer experience
- CAD design experience for specific vehicle systems. Catia experience (V5 or V6) is required
- The ability to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team
- Leadership qualities to motivate and manage small teams (formal and ad-hoc) to achieve design solutions at a vehicle concept level
- A flexible approach to design content, to support the changing needs of vehicle concept evolution
- The ability to think “outside of the box"
- A brave approach to concept design solutions
- A desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
- A commitment to add value to a team of likeminded engineers and designers.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.