Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Prototype Engineer – Lab Car will be responsible for design and review of prototype electrical and controls solutions for prototype vehicles to support Test and Development, instrumentation, and data collection.
· Work with Prototype Engineering and the Prototype Shop to design and assemble electrical harnesses for test mules and Prototype assets.
· Assist in the development of prototype control systems and solutions, vehicle electrical and network architecture, as well as control systems calibration and data collection.
· Collaborate with Systems Engineers to define development vehicle, sub-system, and component requirements.
· Identify all device connections and design routes in CATIA v6 considering mechanical, electrical, environmental variables, collaborating with EDS Systems Engineers
· Support pre-sourcing, requesting relative harness sub-components, supporting 2D/3D librarians for information gathering from prototype / Tier1 / Tier2 suppliers
· Create subsystem, device, inline, and/or specialty cable topologies for system engineering support.
· Lead internal and supplier design reviews of electrical solutions ensuring closure of ALL issues, identifying design failure modes, supporting functional safety requirements, and developing and ensuring completion of all related component and vehicle level DVP&R items
· Support Rivian vehicle assembly, including on-site support for rapid design and rework for prototype / pre-production mule, electrical/mechanical static buck(s), and verification phases.
This is what you’ll need:
· Patience, kindness, self-control, confidently centered around a positive mental attitude
· Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, or related mechatronics disciplines
· 5+ years of automotive or aerospace experience in vehicle and system development.
· A current, industry standard knowledge of design verification testing required for various Harness Assemblies
· Experience / understanding with harness sub-components, rapid proto-harnessing sub-assembly, and form-board production assembly processes
· Knowledge and hands-on experience and willingness to build rapid-prototypes solutions, including procurement of components
· Effective ability to package harness in 3D virtual environment, understanding non-compliant ergonomics, tach-times, and vehicle assembly sequencing
· Experience packaging harnesses considering communication protocol circuits such as, CAN / Lin / Base T-1000 / video, lighting signals, etc
· Knowledge of, through experience packaging and testing dynamic harness conditions
· Strong 2D CAD experience and proficiency with AutoCAD, MentorGraphics, Arcadia, or etc.
· 3D CAD experience with CATIA v5/v6, NX, SolidWorks, or etc. is A PLUS
· Willingness to develop new technologies for future programs
· Fluent in English (speaking, reading, writing, and listening)
· Ability to work autonomously
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.