Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Characterize cell degradation and failure modes through electrochemical and physical characterization techniques (non-destructive and destructive test methods).
- Identify root causes and propose solutions to mitigate the risk and maximum cell performance and lifetime from both design and usage.
- Develop new test techniques to develop understanding of cell degradation and failure modes.
- Dissect and harvest cell’s components (electrodes, electrolyte and separator…) and investigate their degradation mechanisms and failure modes using different electrochemical techniques and analytical instruments.
- Design new cell format/configuration to characterize cell/electrode/material such as 3-electrode cells…
- Perform dQdV, dVdQ analysis.
- Develop new methods/tools to identify degradation mechanisms and lifetime prediction for lithium ion batteries.
- Train other cell engineers and technicians.
- Prepare concise report and effectively present to internal and external teams.
- PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science with more than 5 years working on lithium ion batteries. Industrial experience preferred.
- Strong understanding about lithium ion batteries, their degradation and failure modes.
- Hands on experience in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT…
- Hands on experience in material characterization: XRD, SEM, TEM, FTIR, GCMS…
- Demonstrated experience on cell’s characterization.
- Strong understanding about the principle of dQdV and dVdQ and their application in degradation and failure mode identification.
- Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Hands on building and tear down cells.
- Experience in working with glovebox, handling air-sensitive materials.
- Can work independently with minimum supervision and work well in a team.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.