Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
A vehicle dynamics expert with tire, spring and bushing development experience
- Work with tire, spring and bushing suppliers to provide feedback on current performance and identify opportunities for improvement
- Define and organize testing programs that provide detailed objective and subjective information to the rest of the organization
- Assist testing team in preparing and conducting performance tests, including coordination of tests, processing data and generating reports
- Instrument vehicles prior to testing and operate data acquisition systems
- Benchmark competitive vehicles, record relevant information and refine Rivian’s target metrics
- Maintain testing equipment
- Help develop full vehicle simulation models
- Own tire model fitting correlation and various other aspects of the tire model
- Utilize full vehicle simulation models to optimize the development of the vehicle platform by running “what-if” scenarios based around dynamic performance
- Maintain knowledge of DOT (Department of Transportation) procedures and regulations in regard to tires
- Communicate cross-functionally with the Chassis, Powertrain, Body, Interior and Controls teams to improve the integration of the vehicle subsystems into one harmonized driving experience
- Work hard, exceed expectations, challenge industry conventions, and relentlessly strive to make truly exceptional products
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in automotive Chassis development / vehicle dynamics
- Hands-on attitude, ability align and set-up the vehicle for testing
- A solid understanding of the core concepts of vehicle dynamics
- Full vehicle simulation experience
- Detail-oriented personality
- Competent using data acquisition systems
- Proficient in writing test specifications, instrumenting vehicles and executing efficient vehicle tests
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone.
- Working Hours
- Travel Requirements of Position
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.