Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Evaluate and select cathode materials that meets Rivian’s requirements.
- Develop cathode materials for different Rivian’s applications.
- Work with cross functional teams internally and externally to bring new cathode technology to cell production.
- Investigate surface and bulk structure of the cathodes and the correlation with their performance and lifetime.
- Source/evaluating new emerging battery chemistry/technologies.
- Define cathode development roadmap for Rivian’s cell technology.
- Be an expert leader in the technical discussion and lead the collaboration with external research laboratory.
- Train other engineers and technicians.
- PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science with more than 5 years working on lithium ion batteries in academia/industrial.
- Demonstrated experience on cathode development.
- Understanding cathode and cell manufacturing process.
- Strong understanding about the chemistry of cathode materials and degradation mechanisms.
- Strong knowledge about development process to improve cathode performance and cycle/calendar life.
- Experience/knowledge about doping and surface modification. Hands on experience material synthesis.
- Understanding about electrochemical techniques such as CV, EIS, GITT, PITT…
- Hands on experience material characterization such as SEM, XRD, DSC, TEM, Raman, BET, ARC…
- Hands on experience with electrode processing including making slurry, coating, calendaring and drying.
- Experience with building coin cells. Experience in assembly ouch/cylindrical cell is a plus.
- Experience in working with glovebox and dry-room, handling air-sensitive materials.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing to make extra effort to get the job done!
- Work well in a team as well as individually.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.