Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Interface with ESS Mechanical Integration Engineering team in fastener and joint engineering.
- Design fasteners using 3D and 2D and release into ESS fastener library based on company standards.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to design a robust joint with ease of manufacturing, ease of service, low cost, low mass and high reliability.
- Facilitate all mechanical joint and fastener design reviews as part of developing robust joints for ESS.
- Drive fastener test laboratory set up and operations required for fastener joint development
- Lead all fastener testing activities based on established development and validation test plans.
- Lead and Perform detailed analysis of fastened joints to verify thread engagement, torque vs clamp load, grip length evaluation.
- Work with ESS CAE team to define and submit simulation requests as needed for design validation and correlation with test of fastener joints
- Facilitate procurement and supplier quality team members to source fasteners and create supplier approve list.
- Collaborate across design/manufacturing and quality teams to develop best fastening/joining methodology for engineering, manufacturing production.
- Represent ESS Mechanical fastener Integration team in cross functional engagement with Vehicle Structures, Serviceability, Manufacturing and Advanced Manufacturing.
- Responsible to accept requirements from ESS Systems Engineering team and decompose and cascade into ESS Mechanical fastener requirements
- Lead Battery fastener activities in development of next generation joint technologies:
- Support delivery of PLM Battery System fastener component attribute data in Enovia, including meeting cost & mass targets.
- BS/MS Degree in Mechanical, Materials Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in fastener engineering or related field
- 2+ years of experience of 2D and 3D design (Catia V5 Preferred)
- Strong understanding of the interactions between the torque, clamp load, friction
- Experience developing torque values based on design requirements
- Experience on fastener/joint tests, destructive and non-destructive tests clamp load, torque, joint slip test
- Experience with GD&T and quality control
- Strong understanding of casting, extrusion, forging, machining, welding and injection molding manufacturing processes
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.