Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The core responsibility of the harness mechanical design engineer is to integrate / package the harnesses into the vehicle. This activity is largely completed using the electrical work bench in CATIA (CAD). You’ll work very closely with a counterpart harness DRE, whose core responsibility is to complete the harness drawing, and is more circuits focused.
- Design one or more harnesses using the electrical work bench in CATIA (3DX) CAD package.
- Negotiate mounting points with other engineering groups such as body or interior.
- Attend regular packaging reviews.
- Ensure all clearance requirements are met.
- Create scheme models of brackets & injection moulded formers to support the harness routing, and retain electrical components.
- Work closely with the harness design release engineers (DRE’s) to ensure the harness drawing and harness CAD are always aligned.
- Ensure the wiring harnesses have full electrical connectivity to allow a clean KBL export.
- Participate in cost down / mass down workshops.
- Ensure bend rads are appropriate.
- Follow Rivian harness modelling guidelines.
- Export harness KBL files.
- Specify taping and convolute with the DRE.
- Consult the harness topology diagram to ensure all components are connected.
- Be able to read high level circuit diagrams to understand where the wires are going, and propose 3D optimization to reduce cost and mass.
- 2 to 10 years-experience of 3D wiring harness design in a CAD package such as CATIA V6, ideally within automotive, though other sectors will be considered.
- Possess a B.S. degree (or above), though other qualifications & experience will be considered.
- Be a proficient CAD designer, particularly with the electrical work bench.
- Understand harness design ‘best practice’, such as acceptable bend radii, regular clipping points & required clearances.
- The ability to read ‘topology’ and circuit diagrams to a basic level.
- Ability to work under time pressure.
- Be a strong and effective communicator.
- Be able to work independently, under your own initiative.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.