Riverside Research is an independent National Security Nonprofit dedicated to research and development in the national interest. We provide high-end technical services, research and development, and prototype solutions to some of the country’s most challenging technical problems.
JOB NUMBER: 1013
Embedded hardware is found throughout commercial and defense electronic systems, delivering exceptional capabilities for field applications. The Riverside Research Engineering and Support Solutions (ESS) Division conducts Research and Development (R&D) to understand the impact of evolved cyber physical attacks to embedded hardware security.
The Hardware Security Research Engineer will develop novel embedded hardware attack techniques and implement those found in open-source publications and other publicly available resources. They will demonstrate advanced attacks in a microelectronics laboratory against state-of-the-art integrated circuits including those featuring countermeasures to prevent such attacks. Our team of hardware security experts employs a range of microelectronics test equipment, custom software, and computing resources to provide the best support to our customers. This position is located at WPAFB, OH with travel expected two to four times a year.
All Riverside Research opportunities require U.S. Citizenship.
- Study current and emerging threats to embedded hardware including but not limited to microcontrollers, FPGAs, and ASICs
- Prototype new attack techniques by building custom hardware and software test setups
- Understand device architectures and features by reviewing system-level documentation and source code (VHDL, Verilog, C, Assembly)
- Lead a small team of two to three engineers by developing and implementing plans and schedules, mentoring junior team members, and providing technical advice
- Design and perform experiments to assess attack effectiveness against microelectronic devices
- Document results in technical reports, present findings to technology stakeholders
- Active Top Secret clearance
- Bachelor's Degree (Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or Applied Mathematics)
- Two years direct experience w/ BS degree, or a master’s degree involving side-channel analysis
- Understanding of side-channel attack theory and implementation
- Familiarity with NIST-approved cryptographic algorithms
- Experience testing microelectronic devices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using Python or Matlab
- MS or PhD in Electrical, Computer Engineering or a related field Experience with optical modeling software
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Experience leading R&D projects
- Experience developing embedded hardware (VHDL, Verilog) and software (C, Assembly)
- Prior experience with hardware and/or software reverse engineering
- Understanding of semiconductor device physics, design, and fabrication
- Experience presenting technical material to large groups
Riverside Research does not mandate COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. However, proof of vaccination or negative test may be required to enter certain government facilities and sites. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site-specific requirements. To protect the health and safety of its employees, their families, and to comply with customer requirements, the company requires all employees to disclose vaccination status (upon hire).
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Recruiting at email Recruiting@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the Recruiting team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: