Riverside Research is an independent National Security Nonprofit dedicated to research and development in the national interest. We provide high-end technical services, research and development, and prototype solutions to some of the country’s most challenging technical problems.
Job Number: 995
Riverside Research is seeking an internally and externally recognized Subject Matter Expert (SME) in counter directed energy weapon (CDEW) systems, directed energy weapons (DEW), and nuclear weapon system technologies to support work for the Engineering & Support Solutions Business Unit in Dayton, OH. A successful candidate for this position will routinely provide defense planners and operators with timely and accurate characterizations of adversary DEW, nuclear and strategic threats, CDEW programs, and weapons-related S&T developments. Additionally, the candidate will generate recommendations in the form of technical briefings, reports, and other analytic documents, and provide guidance to less experienced staff, review the work of others, authoritatively contribute to multi-functional analytic teams, and maintain currency in understanding relevant CDEW/ nuclear technologies and trends. This position will also provide support by devising, evaluating, and recommending new methodologies and analytical tools under various stages of development, and by investigating and advising management regarding feasibility for complex projects. The SME position will be involved in managing programs and customer relationships across the DoD and DoE. The qualified candidate will provide extensive research, technical assessments, and policy recommendations, on existing and emerging CDEW and nuclear technologies. This is a full-time position located at Wright-Patterson AFB.
All Riverside Research opportunities require U.S. Citizenship.
- Understanding of high energy laser (HEL) and/or high power microwave (HPM) technology and system applications and corresponding counter directed energy technologies.
- Identify activities and future investments on the part of the DoD, its industry partners, and the extended global technology base to improve the DoD’s ability to develop, build, and field advanced CDEW and nuclear weapon systems
- Responsible for the Research, Development, and Test and Evaluation activities across a variety of functional subsystems which include prime power sources, pulsed power systems, radio frequency sources, and high-power antennas, optical systems and sensors.
- Work with team of scientists, engineers, and technicians that interface across projects to ensure success in the area of HPM, Radio Frequency (RF), HEL and nuclear system development.
- Support hardware integration of associated components onto platforms (participate in assembly and installation of hardware both at WPAFB and at various remote test sites).
- Investigate RF propagation, Laser propagation target interaction to optimize performance and lethality effects.
- Demonstrate strong ability to generate new projects and determine funding requirements
- Demonstrate strong communication skills including writing clear and concise reports
- Serve as SME support and advice to on-going and future projects.
- Interface with technical personnel and customers to clarify tasking, identify problems, suggest changes, and develop and document final solutions.
- Lead programs and tasks; develop innovative technical concepts and development activities
- Prepare presentations for leadership and decision makers internal to our government customers
- Current DoD Top Secret clearance level with CNWDI and NATO access, SAP eligible
- 10 years: Recognized in the DEW community for knowledge and understanding of DE technologies or systems.
- 10 years: Experience in DEW development either through analysis, hardware systems or both.
- Knowledge of the DoD acquisition processes, policies, and guidance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- The applicant must have advanced experience in moderate hazard work areas (e.g., explosives handling, radiation, fissile material, electrical) and thorough knowledge of process hazard analysis, development of integrated work documents, and safety basis operations.
- 3+ years of experience with intelligence analysis, including employing multi-INT databases to develop analytic assessments and briefings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state nuclear programs, trends, and technologies.
- Demonstrated proficiency utilizing S&T and academic databases.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within or lead a team of peers, as well as excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to communicate complex analyses at a level comprehensible to laymen and senior-level government representatives.
- Ability to clearly express in writing technical analysis results and program characterizations.
- Master’s degree in engineering discipline or related science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) field.
- Knowledge of Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) organizational structures, functions, and communication protocol
- Knowledge of OUSD(R&E), OUSD(A&S)/Industrial Policy, Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA), and intelligence partners
- Military or defense-related experience and an understanding of operational planning.
- Experience effectively devising, utilizing, and communicating methodological approaches to complex problem sets.
- Familiarity working with nuclear-related and S&T analytic centers within the DOD, IC and/or Interagency (USANCA, DIA/DCP, NASIC, DOE).
Riverside Research does not mandate COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. However, proof of vaccination or negative test may be required to enter certain government facilities and sites. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site-specific requirements. To protect the health and safety of its employees, their families, and to comply with customer requirements, the company requires all employees to disclose vaccination status (upon hire).
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Recruiting at email Recruiting@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the Recruiting team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: