Riverside Research is an independent National Security Nonprofit dedicated to research and development in the national interest. We provide high-end technical services, research and development, and prototype solutions to some of the country’s most challenging technical problems.
Job Number: 968
Riverside Research is seeking a Scientist or Engineer with a general background in machine learning and artificial intelligence and a focus on modeling human behavior and formal methods for cognitive modeling, to join a dynamic, growth-focused Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab. The Lab performs research and development focused on providing solutions to the Defense and Intelligence Communities.
As a key member of our Open Innovation Center, the scientist or engineer will execute as well as assist in growing opportunities with government research organizations (e.g. DARPA, IARPA, service labs, etc.), perform on our corporate-wide Independent Research & Development (IR&D) efforts in artificial intelligence and machine learning, manage existing R&D contracts, and transition technology into our other business units.
The scientist or engineer will work with team members located in the Dayton OH, Washington DC, New York City, and Boston office locations while reporting to the Director of the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab of the Open Innovation Center Business Unit.
As a not-for-profit company, Riverside Research re-invests annual profits in independent research and development projects, community outreach initiatives, and employee benefits that exceed the industry average. Your career development is enhanced by the opportunity to work with a broad variety of experts in cutting-edge engineering and research disciplines and personalized attention from Riverside Research senior managers.
All Riverside Research opportunities require US citizenship.
- Provide technical direction, task-level technical leadership, and research and development skills for our corporate-wide IR&D efforts in machine learning and artificial intelligence, especially projects which require a more detailed understanding or formal modeling of human behavior. This includes developing forecasting or predictive models of behavior at a variety of levels of analysis and using multiple kinds of data. The Human Behavior and Cognitive Modeling Scientist will also assist the team and director in developing project roadmaps based on internal and external customer needs, science and technology trends, and overall corporate strategic plans.
- Foster and participate in a collaborative environment for multidisciplinary research and development.
- Assist in executing work for and pursuing and growing business with government research organizations including DARPA, IARPA, and service labs. This requires interacting with funders in the context of demonstrating capabilities and in preparation of proposals, white papers, demos, and presentations.
- Work with team members in 4 office locations.
- Understand, apply and contribute to state of the art AI/ML techniques, especially those focused on human behavior modeling or forecasting, by publishing and presenting research results.
- US Citizen / Clearable (ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance)
- Training or certificates in an AI/ML related field:
- Computer Science,
- Electrical and/or Computer Engineering,
- Cognitive Science,
- 3+ years of relevant AI/ML experience required.
- Ability to conduct research in state of art artificial intelligence / machine learning projects focused on human behavior and cognitive modeling related to:
- Image and signal classification using Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) and other deep learning networks
- Adversarial AI – methods to attack/protect AI/ML algorithms
- Neuromorphic computing – Spiking Neural Networks (SNN), Intel Loihi and FPGA instantiations
- Human-computer interaction and virtual/augmented reality to assist complex tasking
- Demonstrated ability to work in coding environments and deliver prototypes revolving around the use of multi-level data-informed human behavior models.
- Ability to code in a variety of integrated development environments and to learn new programming skills as required.
- Experience with flexible and fast run-time languages a plus.
- Experience with formal methods for cognitive modeling such as ACT-R or SOAR a plus, as is experience with theory of mind and other modeling approaches.
- Ability to write and speak about research and development results with a variety of audiences, including academic peers and potential funders.
- Some experience working on projects for US Government or DoD research and development agencies.
- Collaborative team member with the highest integrity and moral compass.
- Some experience in working with diverse teams/programs in multiple locations.
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- PhD degree preferred
Riverside Research does not mandate COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. However, proof of vaccination or negative test may be required to enter certain government facilities and sites. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site-specific requirements. To protect the health and safety of its employees, their families, and to comply with customer requirements, the company requires all employees to disclose vaccination status (upon hire).
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Recruiting at email Recruiting@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the Recruiting team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: