Riverside Research is an independent National Security Nonprofit dedicated to research and development in the national interest. We provide high-end technical services, research and development, and prototype solutions to some of the country’s most challenging technical problems.
Job Number: 953
Riverside Research is seeking a full-time Senior Imagery Scientist with a focus on an understanding of the atmospheric sciences as applied to supporting and improving remote sensing Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) techniques in the Charlottesville, VA area. This position will support the Army National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) GEOINT production efforts by tackling tough national security challenges using your sound physics-based knowledge and expertise.
You will also perform duties at the Applied Remote Sensing Off Post Laboratory (OPL) Test and Evaluation Group (TEG) in support of field exercises operating GEOINT ground truth signature collection equipment. You will perform quality control and analysis of the collected ground truth data.
All positions with Riverside Research require U.S. citizenship.
- Processes and exploits GEOINT data from remote sensing data sources
- Develops automated atmospheric modeling techniques to convert full-spectrum (VNIR-SWIR-MWIR-LWIR) radiance data to reflectance and emissivity in nadir and off-nadir geometries.
- Provide link between production team and Test and Evaluation Group (TEG) to identify new mission applications for current or near-future sensor systems
- Support TEG activities when required. This includes performing lab measurements, field measurements, test planning, sensor check-outs, and algorithm/sensor troubleshooting
- Develops processes to model laboratory data to at-sensor altitude and conditions and perform initial mission viability testing using laboratory collected data. Testing may require converting raw data to radiance and to reflectance or emissivity as well as developing sensor-specific code to calibrate lab sensor data
- Perform statistical measures of data and results
- Lead NARS team training for the math and science of atmospheric models, spectral matching algorithms, and process observables
- Identify process flows that can be automated or improved; document and implement process improvement code, typically Python, IDL, Matlab, C++ and C
- Modify and maintain legacy production software code
- Identify new or enhanced matching algorithms and processes. Test on previously collected data and provide test results to government customer
- Applies imagery science and remote sensing production and development solutions to meet timely intelligence requirements
- Quality controls and analyses collected GEOINT ground truth signature data
- Develops creative new tactics, techniques, and procedures to solve national security challenges that face our Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) warfighter customers.
- Submits verified signatures to a national signature database
- Prepares and delivers technical GEOINT papers and presentations for community sponsored GEOINT symposiums, meetings, working groups, and collection exercises
- Other duties as assigned.
- Top Secret clearance with SCI adjudication
- Upon accepting the position, willingness to take a counterintelligence (CI) polygraph
- Education: Master of Science degree in any of the following fields of study; remote sensing, chemistry, physics, geology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, environmental science, geography, and agricultural sciences.
- Strong language coding skills in Python
- Years’ Experience: 10+ years
- Experience working in or with the Intelligence Community (IC): minimum of 4 years
- Comprehensive understanding of the phenomenology associated with the atmospheric sciences
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work and collaborate in a dynamic team environment
- PhD in related scientific field of study
- Language coding skills in other languages (besides the above required Python) such as IDL, Matlab, C++, or C
Riverside Research does not mandate COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. However, proof of vaccination or negative test may be required to enter certain government facilities and sites. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site-specific requirements. To protect the health and safety of its employees, their families, and to comply with customer requirements, the company requires all employees to disclose vaccination status (upon hire).
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Recruiting at email Recruiting@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the Recruiting team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: