Riverside Research is an independent National Security Nonprofit dedicated to research and development in the national interest. With revenues of $125M+, and a staff of more than 630, Riverside Research provides high-end technical services, research and development, and prototype solutions to some of the country’s most challenging technical problems. Riverside Research also supports advanced technical education and collaborates widely with university researchers.
The company was formed from a respected research laboratory at Columbia University and has a current focus on technical areas including Radar systems, Optics and Photonics, Electromagnetics, Plasma physics, Geoint, Masint, Systems Engineering, and Modeling & Simulation.
Riverside Research’s open innovation R&D model encourages both internal and external collaboration to accelerate innovation, advance science, and expand market opportunities. In 2015, Riverside Research expanded its facility in Dayton, OH, adding a 30,000 square-foot Open Innovation Center (OIC). The OIC is a collaborative R&D environment that fosters creativity, synergy, and ultimately delivers innovative solutions to current and anticipated challenges. The OIC sets the standard for collaborative innovation and is dedicated to promoting research across the company. Riverside Research has additional research facilities in Boston, MA; New York, NY; Centreville, VA; and Champaign, IL.
Job Number: 942
Riverside Research is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to support the Air Force customer on their research and development efforts. As a key member of Riverside Research, the Senior Software Engineer will work closely with the Government customer to implement state-of the-art open architecture (OA) mission capabilities.
The chosen candidate will serve as a senior technical member of a team consisting of software engineers, data architects, cybersecurity engineers and researchers to develop and demonstrate technology and advanced component prototype solutions to evolve and expand emerging OA standards and approaches for current and next-generation Air Force and DoD weapon systems. The engineer will provide mature, robust OA solutions to rapidly integrate mission systems, facilitate mission system capability evolution, as well as sustained competition across the system life cycle.
All Riverside Research opportunities require U.S. Citizenship.
- Analyze specified methods and procedures, identify problems, and document requirements
- Work with customer and team to translate complex product requirements into software designs
- Lead the architecture, design, implementation, testing, and development of high-quality C++ and Java applications
- Remain current on new technologies and best practices and make recommendations to the team and customer
- Assist in the development and refinement of OA standards
- Identify and resolve complex software issues
- Mentor engineers in the development of software, tools, and processes
- Conduct peer software reviews
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other related STEM degree
- 8+ years of experience designing, implementing, developing, and testing software
- Experience with C++ and Java programming languages
- Ability to provide in-depth evaluation and analysis of unique complex technological issues
- Experience developing multi-threaded applications
- Experience with cross-platform development (Linux and Windows)
- Experience with source control (Git), virtual machines (VMware), and containers (Docker)
- Experience developing OA standards
- Experience with Open Mission Systems (OMS)
- Experience with Data Distribution Services (DDS)
- Experience with CMake, Visual Studio, GCC, GDB, and XML
- Familiarity working with serial interfaces, analog and digital I/O, TCP/IP, and avionic buses such as 1553 and ARINC 429/615/629/717
- Familiarity with InfiniBand (IB) and Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA)
Riverside Research does not mandate COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. However, proof of vaccination or negative test may be required to enter certain government facilities and sites. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site-specific requirements. To protect the health and safety of its employees, their families, and to comply with customer requirements, the company requires all employees to disclose vaccination status (upon hire).
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Recruiting at email Recruiting@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the Recruiting team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: