Riverside Research is seeking a Research Scientist with a general background in machine learning and artificial intelligence and with exceptional customer interaction and business development skills to join a dynamic, growth-focused Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab. The Lab performs research and development focused on providing solutions to the Defense and Intelligence Communities. As a key member of our Open Innovation Center, the research scientist will execute as well as assist in growing opportunities with government research organizations (e.g. DARPA, IARPA, service labs, etc.), perform on our corporate-wide Independent Research & Development (IR&D) efforts in artificial intelligence and machine learning, manage existing R&D contracts, and transition technology into our other business units. The Research Scientist will work with team members located in the Dayton OH, Washington DC, New York City, and Boston office locations while reporting to the Director of the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab of the Open Innovation Center Business Unit.
All Riverside Research opportunities require US citizenship.
• Assist in executing work for and pursuing and growing business with government research organizations including DARPA, IARPA, and service labs. This requires interacting with funders in the context of demonstrating capabilities and in preparation of proposals, white papers, demos, and presentations. In particular, for this position, excellent verbal and written skills related to articulating the value of our methods are critical.
• Provide technical direction, task-level technical leadership, and research and development skills for our corporate-wide IR&D efforts in artificial intelligence and machine. This includes developing software to support a variety of machine learning and AI-related projects in multiple domains. Topics could include ones mentioned in our research interests below. The Research Scientist will also assist the team and director in developing project roadmaps based on internal and external customer needs, science and technology trends, and overall corporate strategic plans.
• Foster and participate in a collaborative environment for multidisciplinary research and development.
• Work with team members in 4 office locations.
• Understand, apply and contribute to state of the art AI/ML techniques, publishing and presenting research results.
• A minimum of a Master’s degree in an AI/ML related field (Computer Science, Electrical and/or Computer Engineering, Physics, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience) and at least 3 years of relevant experience required with preference for PhD degree.
• Some experience working on projects for US Government or DoD research and development agencies.
• Excellent customer and partner interaction skills.
• Collaborative team member with the highest integrity and moral compass.
• Some experience in working with diverse teams/programs in multiple locations.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance. Those with active TS/SCI clearance preferred.
• Ability to conduct or assist in conducting research in state of art artificial intelligence / machine learning projects including, Image and signal classification using Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) and other deep learning networks, Adversarial AI – methods to attack/protect AI/ML algorithms, Neuromorphic computing – Spiking Neural Networks (SNN), Intel Loihi and FPGA instantiations and/or Human-computer interaction, natural language processing, and virtual/augmented reality to assist complex tasking
• Demonstrated ability to work in coding environments and deliver prototypes revolving around the use of signal-centric computing technologies.
• Ability to code in a variety of integrated development environments and to learn new programming skills as required. Experience with flexible and fast run-time languages a plus.
• Ability to write and speak about research and development results with a variety of audiences, including academic peers and potential funders.
Riverside Research strives to be one of America's premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. We continue to add experienced and technically astute staff who are highly motivated to help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers deliver world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented defense company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
Riverside Research remains committed to the safety of our employees and customers. Under Executive Order 14042, effective December 8, 2021, all Riverside Research employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Fully vaccinated means at least two weeks after the final shot in the required timing and dosage. Riverside Research will grant reasonable accommodation to those where a medical or religious exemption has been approved by the company. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated by December 8, 2021, unless an approved accommodation has been granted by Riverside Research. All new hires starting after December 8, 2021 must be fully vaccinated by their start date.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at 937-427-7074 or email HR@RiversideResearch.org. A member of the HR team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law," please visit: