Riverside Research is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to work in our Lexington, MA, Champaign, IL, or Dayton, OH office. We are searching for an experienced candidate that has worked in environments with good software cultures promoting best practices and processes. We seek a motivated and collaborative employee who will be comfortable working within a cohesive software development team.
This candidate will help define architecture, plan out designs, write code to implement functionality, and maintain a software system that includes multiple services, components, and clients, including a web client and a client-server thick client.
As a not-for-profit company, Riverside Research re-invests annual profits in independent research and development projects, community outreach initiatives, and employee benefits that exceed the industry average. Your career development is enhanced by the opportunity to work with a broad variety of experts in cutting-edge engineering and research disciplines and personalized attention from Riverside Research senior managers.
All Riverside Research opportunities require US citizenship.
• Full life-cycle software development participation, from feature conception and requirements generation to software architecture and design, implementation, build, deployment, testing, and support.
• Areas of focus may include application architecture, software design, user-interface and experience, database management, client-side and server-side development, web application development, testing frameworks, and understanding and integrating with DevOps tools.
• Collaborate with project manager and other development team members to continue to define and develop a robust, high-quality software system that can be accessed on both desktop environments and web clients, with an eye for extensibility to leverage and display different types of data in the future.
• Ability to work directly with databases and other data stores in order to collect information and potentially perform certain levels of statistical analysis.
• Interact with stakeholders, customers, and users to understand operational strengths and weaknesses and help define roadmap and future focus areas for the software system.
• On occasion, provide direct customer support and technical assistance to users of the software.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
• Thorough knowledge of current best principles, practices, and procedures for design, development, implementation, deployment, and testing with respect to modern software applications and servers.
• Four years of professional programming experience with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work and professional experience that is documented and can be demonstrated.
• Experience with database technologies related to modern software application stacks. Examples include HBase, MySQL, MSSQL, and MongoDB.
• Experience with user interface and user experience design and implementation.
• Knowledge of and experience with designing, building, and implementing REST API endpoints according to well-defined best practices.
• Strong technical documentation skills.
• Demonstrated troubleshooting skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated desire to grow and learn new technologies.
• Active DoD Secret Security Clearance
• Strong experience and knowledge in the areas of dependency injection, software services, and componentization of designs.
• Strong experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
• Strong experience in functional programming design and implementation.
• Solid understanding of REST, web services, and web security.
• Full stack development and architecture experience, including, but not limited to, web services, client-server communication, database modeling, tiered server software design, user facing interfaces, and the frameworks related to these items.
• Experience with different software development methodologies, including agile.
• Experience with the tools that are used for managing software lifecycle processes such as JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo.
• Experience with source control systems, such as Git, and related tools such as BitBucket, Fisheye, and Crucible.
• Some experience with HBase, Hadoop, Lucene, and Python.
• Familiarity with machine learning algorithms and tools such as naïve-bayes, decision trees, neural networks, and TensorFlow.
• Familiarity with natural language processing libraries and tools.
• Demonstrated experience in dealing directly with customers in a productive and iterative fashion.
Riverside Research strives to be one of America’s premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. As we continue to add experienced, technically astute staff, we are looking for highly motivated, talented team members that can help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers continue delivery of world-class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented Defense Company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective, and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at 937-427-7074 or email HR. A member of the HR team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law", please visit: