Riverside Research is seeking a Scientist or Engineer with a general background in machine learning and artificial intelligence and a focus on human-machine teaming and user interfaces, to join a dynamic, growth-focused Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab. The Lab performs research and development focused on providing solutions to the Defense and Intelligence Communities.
As a key member of our Open Innovation Center, the scientist or engineer will execute as well as assist in growing opportunities with government research organizations (e.g. DARPA, IARPA, service labs, etc.), perform on our corporate-wide Independent Research & Development (IR&D) efforts in artificial intelligence and machine learning, manage existing R&D contracts, and transition technology into our other business units.
The scientist or engineer will work with team members located in the Dayton OH, Washington DC, New York City, and Boston office locations while reporting to the Director of the Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Lab of the Open Innovation Center Business Unit.
As a not-for-profit company, Riverside Research re-invests annual profits in independent research and development projects, community outreach initiatives, and employee benefits that exceed the industry average. Your career development is enhanced by the opportunity to work with a broad variety of experts in cutting-edge engineering and research disciplines and personalized attention from Riverside Research senior managers.
All Riverside Research opportunities require US citizenship.
- Provide technical direction, task-level technical leadership, and research and development skills for our corporate-wide IR&D efforts in machine learning and artificial intelligence, especially projects which require analytic tools for human-machine teaming (“M x N teaming”) and novel interfaces and interaction modes for control of autonomous and machine-learning systems. The Human-Machine Teaming and User Interfaces Scientist will also assist the team and director in developing project roadmaps based on internal and external customer needs, science and technology trends, and overall corporate strategic plans.
- Foster and participate in a collaborative environment for multidisciplinary research and development.
- Assist in executing work for and pursuing and growing business with government research organizations including DARPA, IARPA, and service labs. This requires interacting with funders in the context of demonstrating capabilities and in preparation of proposals, white papers, demos, and presentations.
- Work with team members in 4 office locations.
- Understand, apply and contribute to state of the art AI/ML techniques, especially those focused on human-machine interaction, analytic methods for human-machine teams, and user interface design and testing, by publishing and presenting research results.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in an AI/ML related field (Computer Science, Electrical and/or Computer Engineering, Physics, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, Psychology) and at least 3 years of relevant experience required with preference for PhD degree.
- Some experience working on projects for US Government or DoD research and development agencies.
- Collaborative team member with the highest integrity and moral compass.
- Some experience in working with diverse teams/programs in multiple locations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance. Those with active TS/SCI clearance preferred.
- Ability to conduct research in state of art artificial intelligence / machine learning projects focused on human-machine teaming methods and user interfaces related to:
- Image and signal classification using Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) and other deep learning networks
- Adversarial AI – methods to attack/protect AI/ML algorithms
- Neuromorphic computing – Spiking Neural Networks (SNN), Intel Loihi and FPGA instantiations
- Human-computer interaction and virtual/augmented reality to assist complex tasking
- Demonstrated ability to work in coding environments and deliver prototypes revolving around the use of human-machine teaming-enabling software and to mock-up and build draft user interfaces. Ability to quantitatively analyze and assess user experience and human-factors dimensions of interaction a plus.
- Ability to code in a variety of integrated development environments and to learn new programming skills as required. Experience with flexible and fast run-time languages a plus.
- Ability to write and speak about research and development results with a variety of audiences, including academic peers and potential funders.
Riverside Research strives to be one of America’s premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. As we continue to add experienced, technically astute staff, we are looking for highly motivated, talented team members that can help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers continue delivery of world-class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented Defense Company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective, and mission-focused solutions
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
Our EEO Policy
Riverside Research is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability/veteran, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local la
If you need assistance at any time in our application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at 937-427-7074 or email HR. A member of the HR team will be available to assist.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.
For more information on "EEO is the Law", please visit: