Rightfoot is tackling the largest untapped opportunity in fintech — consumer debt, a $14.56+ trillion dollar problem. Backed by Bain Capital Ventures and founders and operators from successful fintech companies like Plaid, Venmo, and Marqeta — we are uniquely positioned to develop APIs that make it possible to integrate debt repayment into any product.
What’s the problem: Debt accounts are not routable entities like bank accounts. The use cases we bring to life require the development of novel payment rails. We integrate directly with loan servicers whose backends were built in the 1970s to standardize and streamline debt payments.
The societal impact: Women hold two thirds of all student debt (>$1T) despite near equal graduation rates. Systemic racism has led to historically underrepresented groups holding 30%+ more debt than their peers. Rightfoot is enabling life changing technology for millions of people.
We’re on a mission to maximize wealth for underrepresented populations. Named one of the top 50 seed-stage startups to work for, Rightfoot is an incredible opportunity to join a well funded, fast growing company tackling a $14T market. Come join us.
Rightfoot Senior Engineer
Rightfoot is tackling the largest untapped opportunity in fintech — providing real time credit data and payments. There is over $16T of consumer debt outstanding in the US, which represents a major equity problem that is growing larger each day. Women hold two thirds of all student debt (>$1T) despite near equal graduation rates. Systemic racism has led to historically underrepresented groups holding 30%+ more debt than their peers. Rightfoot offers the opportunity to develop and scale life-changing technology for millions at a company that strives for excellence and ownership.
The use cases we bring to life require the development of novel payment rails. To solve this problem, we integrate directly with loan servicers whose backends were built in the 1970s, standardizing and streamlining debt payments. With the introduction of Rightfoot’s real-time data and smart payment technology, financial institutions can improve underwriting, prevent defaults, engage customers at the individual level, and provide critical tools to lift borrowers out of debt.
Backed by Bain Capital Ventures and founders and operators from successful fintech companies like Plaid, Venmo, and Marqeta — Rightfoot is uniquely positioned to scale our APIs that empower financial institutions to bring smart debt management and repayment to any product. Rightfoot was named a 2021 Forbes 100 Rising Star, a Top 50 Seed-stage startup to work for by Will Reed, and won the Women in Payments Unicorn Challenge in 2023. This is an opportunity to join a tenacious, scrappy, and ambitious team attacking a massive market with purpose.
About the Role
We’re looking for engineers who thrive in an ambiguous environment and have a fierce growth mindset. We value grit, adaptability, and resourcefulness and we’re looking for people who share those values. As a small team, we are energized by the fact that we all have an impact on the future of this company, and knowing it matters whether or not we show up every day. We’re looking for teammates who think like owners and are willing to go outside their role to move the team forward.
As a member of our team, you’ll get to work directly with our engineers and executives as we define a new space in fintech. You’ll design and implement infrastructure that will impact the company for years to come. You’ll support public API and internal microservice development. With a whole-product perspective, you’ll engage with the team to deliver best in class developer tools. You’ll grow as an engineer, professional and leader as the company grows with you.
We recognize not everyone will check every box. If you’re mostly a match, though, and you’re willing to learn the rest, we’d love to hear from you.
- You have 5+ years building cross-stack infrastructure for web applications, ideally in a startup
- You have 2+ years of Java experience
- You know how to deliver type-safe, clear API contracts between decoupled services
- You’ve deployed services in Kubernetes or similar container infrastructure
- You’re excited by the opportunity to work with a small team and be a meaningful part of defining the culture and technology of a company
- You’re still figuring stuff out and you want a job that will allow you a variety of opportunities to grow and learn.
Bonus Points if You've Got:
- Experience with developing Public HTTP REST APIs
- Experience with typesafe protocols like gRPC or GraphQL
- Large impact on a growing team
- Equity in a fast-growing startup
- Paid medical, dental, vision insurance (90% paid by Rightfoot for employees, 51% for dependents)
- Work from home monthly stipend
- Unlimited book expense
- 12 weeks paid family leave
- Student debt company contributions
- 401k plan
- Unlimited vacation days (and we require and encourage you to take it)
- A fun, quirky, and kind team