Rhythm is a renewable energy and technology company empowering you to take control of your budget and your footprint. We combine energy market expertise with technology, design, and data science to create best-in-class products and services that are simple, delightful, and seamlessly integrated with the rhythm of your life. Our mission is to upend the energy status quo by setting a new standard of service excellence and customer partnership. We are a mission-driven, results-oriented group of engineers, businesspeople, designers and artists who love solving tough problems, all while making a positive impact on our communities.
About the Data Scientist
The ideal candidate will combine the analytical rigor of a scientist with the can-do pragmatism of an entrepreneur. You love working with data—lots of it—and want to build models and intelligent applications that make a difference in people’s lives. You are also committed to sustainability, empowering our customers to use 100% clean energy and intelligently manage their demand in concert with the grid, all while saving money.
You have experience in energy, preferably retail electricity, and are familiar with the intricacies of the commodity, wholesale power markets, retail operations, and financial reporting. Your core strengths and interests may lie anywhere on the spectrum from data and software engineering to financial and customer data modeling, but your energy experience will enable you to hit the ground running and help us build Rhythm’s data capabilities for the future.
From a technical standpoint, you have modeling expertise beyond out-of-the-box machine learning tools, and have experience writing robust, maintainable, and rigorously-tested code. You also have strong communication skills, are able to engage effectively and constructively with non-technical stakeholders of your models.
- Contribute to our customer lifetime value model, the key valuation model that drives decisions throughout our business
- Provide actionable insights into our customers through segmentation, customer journey, and next best action models
- Enable our supply team to deliver clean energy at lowest cost through load forecasting, scenario, sensitivity, and factor analysis, and asset management
- Business intelligence
- Drive analytics-based decision-making throughout the organization by identifying, surfacing, and articulating key insights to business teams
- Support our finance team by creating dashboards and automated reporting for modeling-informed revenue, COGS, and customer count forecasts
- Leverage our BI tools to support other teams: curating dashboards, designing visuals, and creating metrics that synthesize high-dimensional data
- Design, implement, and evaluate digital A/B tests for continual feedback-driven refinement of our offerings and marketing
- Data and model engineering
- Own the design, development, thorough testing, and monitoring of your analytics models
- Leverage and contribute to tools that automate the testing and production deployment of your code
- Build out our data pipeline, validating, transforming, structuring, and monitoring the data we ingest from internal sources and external vendors
- Rhythm Citizen
- Be an expert that teams across the business can rely on for data insights and analysis
- Make the data science team cross-functional by sharing your skills and learning others
- Be a champion for Rhythm’s mission and values, both at work and in the community
- 3+ years of experience in energy, preferably retail electricity
- 6+ years of experience in data science more broadly within energy, finance, digital retail, or e-commerce
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field (Ph.D. preferred)
- Solid understanding of graduate-level statistics, machine learning models and their tradeoffs, convex optimization, and numerical methods
- Expertise with the python scientific stack, including pandas, numpy, matplotlib, sklearn, tensorflow
- Experience with data pipelines, ETL, and cloud storage (we use Snowflake)
- Experience with BI tools and visualization also a plus (we use Looker)
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem, including basic configuration and remote management
- Familiarity with docker and containerized testing and deployment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and organizational skills
- Rhythm is headquartered in Houston, Texas and is building out a New York City office
- Preference will be given to candidates in the NYC or Houston area
- Travel required <10%
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive base salary and bonus, with meaningful opportunity to participate in company success
- Complete benefits package, including PTO, Medical, 401k, HSA/FSA, etc.