Position Overview: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The position is also responsible for production accounting. The ideal candidate will be able to accurately perform significant detailed accounting functions supporting our various in-house and 3rd Party productions, develop and maintain cross-functional relationships between various operating departments and supervise a team of production coordinators.
The position has responsibility for accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced accounting functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, and insure achievement of the department's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiaries, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Oversee and manage production accounting team
- Maintain primary relationship with the outsourced payroll
- Work closely with the Company s production teams and coordinators on project set-up, payment processing and close-out of projects.
- Develop and provide weekly cash flow forecasts to CFO
- Develop production budgets as appropriate, track actuals and interface with producers (internal and external)
- Preparation of cost reports and fulfill information requests from external auditors and other interested parties
- Oversee and reconcile production expense cards and petty cash
- Develop and ensure compliance with the Company’s financial policies/procedures
- Ensure that accounts payable is paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable is collected promptly
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual audit and tax filing
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to CFO
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Desired Qualifications: The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to company subsidiaries, as well as to potential acquisitions to conduct due diligence. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.