Nearly every company in the world runs on custom software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal use. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, and providing customer support. But most companies don’t have adequate resources to properly invest in these tools, leading to a lot of old and clunky internal software or, even worse, users still stuck in manual and spreadsheet flows.
At Retool, we’re on a mission to bring good software to everyone. We’re building a new type of development platform that combines the benefits of traditional software development with a drag-and-drop UI editor and AI, making it dramatically faster to build internal tools. We believe that the future of software development lies in abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks developers waste time on, while creating reusable components that act as a force multiplier for future developers and projects. The result is not just productivity, but good software by default. And that’s a mission worth striving for.
Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business. Interested in joining us? Let us know!
Retool is in an exciting hyper-growth phase and we need infrastructure engineers to tackle our rapid scaling challenges. These scaling challenges are unique both in scope and in technical complexity as we scale both the company and the product.
- Scale Retool’s core cloud platform for high availability and performance globally
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the engineering team to deliver infrastructure for core and emerging products
- Evolve our backend architecture/infrastructure for both cloud and on-premise deployments
- Work with the team to set and prioritize our roadmap to maximize customer impact
- Define and automate developer process/workflow
- Support our systems in production
- Develop new data solutions
- Build monitoring and observability for production systems
- Conduct engineering interviews for new team members
THE SKILLSET YOU'll BRING:
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Track record of delivering engineering projects and process improvements
- Experience scaling cloud infrastructure
- Passion for building and productionizing developer productivity tools, frameworks, and other aspects of platform engineering
- Experience with inner workings of Linux, containers (Docker, containerd), and container orchestration technologies (e.g. docker-compose, Kubernetes)
- A love of building productive, collaborative relationships, both within an engineering org and across the broader company
- You're excited by the ambiguity and high-ownership culture of early-stage startups
- You are pragmatic, solution-oriented, and scrappy
- You enjoy working collaboratively with a broad range of job functions and roles
- Experience with our tech stack: Node, Postgres, Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience scaling relational databases (Postgres preferred)
- Good knowledge of cloud, on-prem, traffic routing, service architecture in multi-region setup
For candidates based in the United States, the annual base salary range is listed below. This salary range may be inclusive of several career levels at Retool and will be narrowed during the interview process based on a number of factors such as (but not limited to), scope and responsibilities, the candidate’s experience and qualifications, and location.
Additional compensation in the form(s) of equity, and/or commission/bonuses are dependent on the position offered. Retool provides a comprehensive benefit plan, including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k). Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees and hybrid work location. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Retool is currently set up to employ all roles in the US and specific roles in the UK. To find roles that can be employed in the UK, please refer to our careers page and review the indicated locations.