Managed cPanel Hosting Operations Engineer
Implementing and managing enterprise level software, and carrier class equipment spanning multiple data centers and providing hosting services to millions of customers. An expert detective, you dive into complex escalations to solve customer and platform concerns. This will involve the management of short & long term projects under SLA and adherence to deadlines.
The Managed cPanel Hosting team is responsible for uptime & site speed SLAs for over 3 million customers and 10 million websites. The team provides backups for all customers, an active disaster recovery strategy, ongoing software upgrades, security analysis/mitigation, and all deployments on the platform (including deployments via Puppet, Ansible, & Rundeck).
All in a day.
- Operate Linux OS with proficiency in bash, awk, sed, and command line.
- Deploying new, maintaining, and upgrading systems at scale with minimal support.
- Using Puppet configuration management and ansible to support deployments.
- Programming and Scripting solutions (Shell Scripting, Perl and/or Python).
- Using strong technical skills in web hosting environment enabling you to understand common issues and drive solutions.
- Monitor performance through Zabbix and Grafana.
- Troubleshooting hardware problems (Servers, Consoles, Switches, Routers, etc.)
- Willing to participate in an on-call rotation with other team members.
- Communicate effectively, train peers, and interact professionally with a diverse group of internal and external clients.
Traits that describe you.
- Enjoys thorough documentation and communication.
- Takes ownership of tasks with a strong ability to work autonomously.
- Thrives in an agile/kanban environment.
- Ability to produce quick fixes, as well as formulate long term solutions to problems.
- Experience with environments/architecture at scale (tens of thousands of systems) with emphasis on “Cattle; Not Pets” mentality.
- Focuses on scaling and high availability solutions.
- Seeks task automation wherever available.
- Collaborates across teams to drive better solutions.
Valuable Technical Experience
- Experience with web technology solutions, including Apache 2.2/2.4, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Nginx/Nginx+, exim, dovecot, varnish, load balancers, cPanel, PostGreSQL.
- Expert knowledge of CentOS/RedHat Server distributions.
- Knowledge of Linux Kernel & related modules, including troubleshooting, patching experience, etc.
- Experience with Puppet configuration management and Ansible for remote execution.
- Experience with various virtualization technologies (QEMU, KVM, libvirt, OpenStack, OpenShift.)
- Deep understanding of best practices for server level management and security.
- Identifies and implements architectural and platform best practices, including locating & resolving design flaws as they appear.
- Networking experience including packet decoding, layer 2 switching basics, and an understanding of the OSI model.