Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job:
The Head of People will lead the RTR People team and all aspects of human resources including, but not limited to: HR Business Partnership, Talent Acquisition, HR operations, Total Rewards and Learning and Development. The Head of People will be a steward of RTR’s culture, mission, and values and a trusted advisor to the leadership team. The role will report into a newly created Chief Administrative Officer role. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partner with company leadership to scale a world-class culture and successfully implement strategic and innovative human capital solutions supporting business growth and transformation as the business pushes towards profitability.
- Develop and manage the overall compensation strategy, partnering with the compensation committee and members of the executive team to design programs that motivate and reward RTR’s talent.
- Design and lead scalable talent management initiatives in partnership with key executives.
- Develop and lead the planning, design, and implementation of the company’s global HR initiatives across regions (US & Ireland) and operations (corporate, CX, operations/facilities).
- Ensure efficient and effective operations of all aspects of human resources including recruiting and retention, compensation/benefits, onboarding, performance management, learning and development, and employee relations.
- Lead and inspire the People team by hiring, retaining, mentoring, and growing high-performing talent.
- Ensure the organization's design and structure continues to reflect the priorities of the business and its growth strategy, in the near- and long-term.
- Achieve our ambitious DEI impact goals.
- 15+ years of progressively responsible experience, including at least seven in HR management and direct experience in multiple HR functions.
- High-performance organizational experience - a demonstrated track record of supporting companies that operated with a high-impact culture, outperformed competition, and developed a reputation for strong, diverse talent.
- Experience preparing and presenting Board and Compensation Committee materials.
- Knowledge of DEI principles and best practices, including experience leading and developing DEI initiatives.
- Experience at top-tier organizations with relevant scale and complexity - ideally, familiarity with large organizations with diverse talent pools.
- Experience in leading organizations through scaling and change management.
- Familiarity with HRIS systems, preferably Workday
- Depth in talent management and business partnering; strong skillset around learning and development and experience leading people strategy in a learning organization.
- A doer who is able to operate at a fast pace, with a bias towards action
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills - can influence, inspire and build followership
- Engaged leader, mentor and team player with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills at all levels and can inspire and manage people to grow professionally
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills, as well as high emotional intelligence
- Passionate about the mission and vision of Rent the Runway, and energized by the opportunity ahead
- An entrepreneurial spirit, eager to try new things and be innovative
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Office centric work - our corporate employees and technical leaders have the option to work remotely on Fridays, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $240,000 - $330,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held. This position is also eligible for equity compensation.