Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Role:
Relevance engineering — encompassing personalized recommendations on styling and fit, search ranking, targeted marketing and more — enables Rent the Runway to provide a magical experience for our customers and build an efficient business. As the leader of this space, you will partner closely with product, engineering, and other data teams to generate ideas, develop & test algorithms, and ultimately launch products that directly impact every customer. You will also grow and mentor a team of machine learning engineers who own the full lifecycle of relevance products, from exploratory analysis and building MVPs through deploying, monitoring, scaling and maintaining production systems. This team’s charter is to transform our customer experience, so your fingerprints will be all over our growing business.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and grow a team of machine learning engineers, building a core competency in relevance and personalization
- Collaborate closely in an equal partnership with business, product, engineering, and other data leaders to identify and size opportunities in the relevance engineering space, solidifying this as a long-term competitive moat for Rent the Runway
- Provide hands-on technical guidance to challenging data and engineering problems faced by the team on a day-to-day business
- Own the responsibility for the production services that generate personalized recommendations, search ranking, and more
- Work on a team of peers in an environment that will keep you constantly challenged and learning new things every day
- 10+ years work experience building data products and integrating them into internal and customer-facing applications in production environments. Plusses in experience include: built & maintained services using AWS, GCP; deployed & maintained production deep learning models using frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras in a business environment.
- 2+ years working on recommender systems or other forms of personalized ranking algorithms (e.g. search).
- 2+ years experience managing teams and projects.
- Passion for best-in-class personalized customer experiences and the technologies that enable them.
- Strong communication and prioritization skills that enable effective partnership with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Desire to drive serious business impact and a bias to action. You like to move fast, you follow through, and you’re accountable to the results.
- Owner’s mindset. No job is too big or too small, and you leave things better than you found them.
- An innate curiosity and an open mind.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.