Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
The operations team at RTR works to deliver the customer mission by innovating through automation, process improvement, transportation methods, packaging and garment science. In doing so, the RTR operations team owns the largest cost components of the business: fulfillment labor, transportation and inventory care. While this is true of any e-commerce company, our subscription rental model and reverse logistics process introduce complexities that are unique to RTR. Given that garments are rented multiple times, returning garments to like-new condition is critical to maximizing the life of our inventory. RTR is thus not only tasked with scaling productive operational processes for traditional e-commerce functions, but also with carrying out manufacturing-like processes such as dry cleaning and repairs. The variety of our inventory assortment - which has been expanding with the growth of new categories - further introduces challenges to implementing traditional technologies and solutions. Success on the RTR operations team requires the pursuit of constant innovation beyond conventional standards.
About the Job:
RTR is seeking an outstanding Fulfillment Project Engineer to join our Construction & Design team to plan and execute high impact, large CAPEX projects that will transform and scale the operation. In this position, you will partner with cross-functional teams and interface with business leaders to drive critical business initiatives. This role provides the opportunity to shape strategic planning and tackle key challenges that will take RTR fulfillment and the customer experience to the next level.
What You’ll Do:
- Play a central role in designing and launching new dream fulfillment centers to fuel RTR’s growth throughout the U.S.
- Design, launch and operationalize large CAPEX, transformative projects spanning across a breadth of operational areas, including automation, productivity, quality, lead time, dry cleaning technology, capacity management and safety.
- Manage relationships with major international vendors and source new vendors to launch new automation systems, equipment and other solutions.
- Work autonomously in an ambiguous environment, seeking to understand business problems, automation limitations, scaling factors, boundary conditions and the rationale driving overarching leadership decisions.
- We are open to NJ or TX based person
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in the job offered or related occupation of Design/Innovation, Research & Development, Manufacturing/Process/ Industrial Engineering, or related fields.
- Experience in technical leadership for complex, large-scale industrial engineering projects.
- Proficiency using business/technical software such as Excel and Word.
- Strong communicator and organized thinker.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Master’s Degree or other advanced degree in Mechanical/Industrial/Process Engineering, Operations, Business Administration or related field.
- Experience managing integrators.
- Experiencing running RFQ processes.
- Experience with complex automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, and systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing.
- Experience designing and launching new facilities.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD and other 3D CAD.
- PMP certification.
- Experience managing plant flow.
- Design-in-Safety experience.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.