Senior Software Engineer, Back End
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100" most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent The Runway established its first operation outside of the U.S, creating an E.U Software Development and Technology hub in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre in 2019. The growing team of software engineers and data scientists tackle core technology challenges critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and the future of the next generation of services. Our employees have the opportunity to launch and grow their careers across a number of exciting roles in engineering and technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Job:
As a backend Engineer on the Merch Systems team, you will work with an enthusiastic team of engineers focused on serving products (apparel and beyond!) across the RTR platform. You’ll integrate product data with our Royalty and Purchasing Systems. You’ll build internal tools for our buying and merchandising team. You’ll work in an agile environment and build high quality, performant software while solving high impact and complex problems!
What You'll Do:
- You’ll work to evolve our Product Catalog service, and integrate it with other Rent the Runway Services.
- You’ll work on growing our services to include a new Royalties and Purchase ordering system.
- You’ll build intuitive and well tested APIs for manipulating data in our product catalog.
- You’ll deprecate and remove services that no longer suit our needs.
- Drive technical projects to success and provide mentorship in a fast-paced startup environment
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder and removing roadblocks
- Assist in prioritisation efforts, planning future roadmaps, and providing mentorship to others
- Deepen your knowledge and build your skills across our technology stack: Java, Mongo, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Dropwizard, Spring Boot, React, Bootstrap, Splunk, Splunk Cloud, SignalFX
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or Technical Lead level equivalent practical experience
- A strong command of best practices, design patterns, and system architecture tradeoffs
- Knowledge of various types of data stores, and their pros-and-cons
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimisation
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- High level of comfort navigating ambiguity and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, Swagger/OpenAPI)
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience with cloud migration – refactor & re-architecture of consumer facing applications and data stores.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.