Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
The operations team at RTR owns the largest cost components of the business - transportation, inventory care and fulfillment labor. This is true of any e-commerce company, but the subscription model introduces added complexity as garments are rented multiple times. This means two way time in transit is critical to customer satisfaction. As a part of the reverse logistics process, returning garments to like-new condition is critical to the ROI of our inventory assets. This requires scaling productive operational processes for traditional e-commerce functions as well as dry cleaning, repairs and other garment care specialties. The operations team at RTR works to deliver the customer mission by delivering on key metrics and innovating through transportation methods, packaging, automation and garment science.
About the Job:
The Senior Manager, Packaging Innovation and Strategy will report to the Director of Garment Science & Quality and work directly with the Operations Engineering & Strategy team. Their core responsibilities will be to own all aspects of packaging in the inventory lifecycle from receipt and storage to delivery. This requires partnership with external suppliers, forecasting and order management, and project management of innovations that solve for key operational issues. In this role, you have the opportunity to find solutions to key challenges including the next innovations in two-way shipping packaging and automation to fit the needs of our carriers & customers in a sustainable way.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze data and create metrics; create data visualizations for team meetings; lead weekly and monthly business reviews on key metrics
- Forecast packaging usage, ordering and cost in partnership with Finance
- Analyze ROI of changes in packaging and inventory supplies
- Manage cross functional projects to improve cost, operational effectiveness, sustainability of shipping and storage packaging, including redesign efforts
- Design tests and collect data to review operational changes and measure the impact on key metrics
- Manage key vendor relationships to leverage purchasing power. This requires negotiating pricing and contract terms alongside Legal
- You have experience creating forecasts and analyzing data sets with multiple variables
- You have experience in leading/collaborating with operations, tech, transportation and engineering teams in the pursuit of building KPIs and products
- You have experience with building, owning and delivering on operating metrics
- You have a strong analytical background and the ability to apply that at some level to both readily available data. Strong Excel skills are a must; other data tool skills are a bonus.
- You have the vision to find the answers to complicated operational problems and are relentless in your ability to try new things
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.