Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway established the first operation outside of the U.S in April 2019, creating our first international office and our European Technology Hub based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre. Our growing team is tackling impressive core technology challenges and influencing the next generation of services critical to Rent The Runway’s success and continued growth.
About the job:
As a Director of Engineering at Rent the Runway, reporting to the VP, Managing Director & Site Lead, you will be responsible for leading and developing the most important elements of our engineering organisation– our people and our technical strategy. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again, and we achieve this by nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, and coordination between and within teams. Success in this role requires deep technical knowledge and a passion for guiding people and engineering projects to successful outcomes in a high growth environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Mentor and develop diverse teams of talented software engineers. Support their technical development and professional growth. Empower and enable them to make decisions independently while operating seamlessly as a cross-functional team.
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s, and think critically and creatively about their long-term career development in line with our development frameworks and company strategy.
- Take an active role in evolving and driving the roadmap for your Engineering teams.
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems while keeping quality high.
- Provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems, and infrastructure.
- Evaluate best in class eCommerce solutions and trends paving the future for business growth and flexibility while maintaining a delightful customer experience.
- Help evolve our eCommerce platform and architecture to satisfy future features, scale and performance requirements.
- Provide input into software development lifecycle, improvement and standardisation strategies.
- Develop internal SOPs, processes, documentation, and training to ensure that team members have the skills and tools they need to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments.
- Collaborate to automate management tasks, streamline processes, and improve reliability, uptime, efficiency, consistency, and security throughout the software and infrastructure.
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design to foster strong partnership and drive successful outcomes.
- You have senior level technical experience as an engineer working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users. Bonus if you have previous experience developing an eCommerce platform (desired, but not essential).
- You are a passionate and effective engineering leader with demonstrable experience in the people management of high performing, engaged teams.
- You have experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, micro-services, algorithms, and/or relational/NoSQL databases.
- You have experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux).
- You have experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimisation.
- You are guided by engineering best practices and delivering quality, reliable, robust and scalable solutions.
- You are an influential communicator with the ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- You care deeply about the happiness of others and can navigate performance, developmental and technical conversations with your teams with care and confidence.
- You have a passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity.
- You can navigate ambiguity and make tradeoffs without compromising quality.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.