About Us: Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team: The Sr. Director, Operations Finance is the finance business partner to the Chief Supply Chain Officer at Rent the Runway. Supply Chain at RTR covers fulfillment center operations including our sites in Secaucus, NJ, and Arlington, TX; our fully remote customer service team of more than 150 agents, all parcel/non-parcel transportation including forward and reverse logistics, and garment inventory performance. The Senior Director, Operations Finance reports through the finance organization and will lead Financial Planning & Analysis for the Operations business area, working closely with other finance and Financial Planning & Analysis functions to develop and communicate annual and long-range budgets, forecasts, and monthly performance.
About the Job: The focus of this role is cost forecasting and performance reporting as it relates to every angle of Operations influence. You’ll lead a team of managers and partner with the heads of fulfillment, customer service and transportation in order to understand trends, forecast future spend and measure performance with a strong attention to detail. By way of first class management reporting, diligent analyses, and strategic modeling, you and your team will play a key role in partnering with the business and informing leadership of actual and projected performance in Operations. You will provide insight to key variances, analyze business trends, changes, and new initiatives in a fast-paced and highly collaborative, cross-functional environment. As the operations expand, you’ll partner with the head of fulfillment center design and construction to develop and track capital plans for the expansion of capacity and team with the head of garment science to maximize the return on our investment in garments, accessories and other units rented or sold.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the Operations function within FP&A, partnering with the Chief Supply Chain Officer and other key stakeholders in the Operations business area
- Lead the long-range plan and annual operating budget process for the Operations function, including Operations Capital Expenditure planning
- Track and report on performance relative to budget and forecast through detailed variance analysis
- Manage ongoing rolling weekly and monthly forecast updates for the Operation, including Labor planning for fulfillment and customer service, Shipping planning, and other Operations-related expenses
- Establish, track and monitor key operating metrics used to drive the Operation to greater efficiency
- Collaborate with operating and data science teams and provide fact-based recommendations that support targets and improve profitability, operating efficiency and effectiveness
- Be responsible for identifying and leading key initiatives that drive efficiencies, savings, and process reliability within the finance and accounting functions
- Minimum of 10 years financial or controllership experience.
- You have a strong financial and analytical background having overseen controllership for large manufacturing and/or fulfillment operations in a Finance or FP&A capacity
- You have strong leadership and mentorship skills and have led a team of financial analysts/controllers in support of physical operations.
- You maintain and continue to develop your skills in reporting and analysis using tools like Excel, Google Sheets, Tableau and SQL.
- You work well with a breadth of support functions including engineering, operations, customer service, transportation, accounting and data science to package and evaluate financial performance.
- You have a strong executive presence and can communicate as well to a senior leadership team as you can to the front line leadership.
- You are highly motivated and willing to take on multiple responsibilities at once and are able to work comfortably under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
Benefits: At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.