Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Job:
As the Director, Accounting, you will play a key role on our growing Account team during this exciting period of high growth and process transformation. Reporting to the Senior Director, Accounting, you will have an exciting opportunity to manage and drive the financial close process ensuring accounting quality for a fast-paced, extremely successful and high energy company.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage full cycle the month and quarter-end financial statement close process by keeping team priorities on track and assisting staff when necessary
- Approve and post journal entries prepared by Accounting Managers on a weekly and monthly basis
- Review balance sheet reconciliations ensuring proper accuracy and completion of accounts
- Perform a detailed review of expense accounts for proper accruals, coding and accounting
- Create and compile internal financial package to review and distribute
- Investigate reporting discrepancies / anomalies and communicate issues as they arise in a timely manner
- Continually develop, expand and improve month end close and financial reporting procedures
- Oversee process and remittance for Unclaimed Property compliance
- Partner with FP&A team during the planning and budgeting process
- Communicate with various internal and external partners at various levels
- Support the year-end financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits that may arise
- Manage, mentor and train staff
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- You have your CPA license
- You have 8+ years of accounting experience including a minimum of 5 years of experience in a general accounting role, preferably in consumer products/ retail / e-commerce industries
- You have experience managing a team and a track record of developing and mentoring staff
- You have a strong understanding of US GAAP
- You have experience working with ERP systems - Microsoft Dynamics 365 is a plus
- You have experience with Accounts Payable oversight (preferred)
- You are a team player, willing to roll-up your sleeves and get involved, no matter how small the task
- You are a highly organized detail-oriented individual with a strong sense of ownership
- You have very strong Excel skills and are comfortable with analyzing and manipulating large data sets
- You have a strong work ethic and a can-do positive attitude
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.