Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Role:
Data scientists at Rent the Runway create data products that have tangible effects on our customer experience and internal operations. You will own projects end to end, from framing which problems to tackle through transforming information from our complex data ecosystem into actionable insights, and ultimately building & integrating products into our network of services in collaboration with our engineering team.
Your work will impact all parts of our business: predicting future demand, determining what inventory assortment to buy, personalizing the onboarding experience, predicting whether a garment will fit a customer before they try it on, optimally pricing clothing rentals and sales, establishing the right network of warehouses to best serve our customers, investigating how we can improve customer service by serving the right information at the right time, etc.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on a team of peers in an environment that will keep you constantly challenged and learning new things every day.
- Develop and deploy performant algorithms powering customer-facing applications that are core to our business and success.
- Collaborate closely in an equal partnership with our business, product and engineering teams.
- Have a significant voice both in what you work on and how the work is carried out.
- 3+ years work experience building software or data products, preferably with python, and integrating them into internal and customer-facing applications in production environments using data engineering and DevOps tools and infrastructure (containerization, cloud platforms, version control, logging, etc.).
- A strong academic background in a quantitative field, for example computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, statistics, etc.
- Solid understanding of computer science fundamentals and systems design.
- Passion for data and its ability to drive serious business impact.
- Experience transforming vague problems into algorithmic solutions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Owner’s mindset and a bias to action. No job is too big or too small.
- An innate curiosity and an open mind.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.