About Rent the Runway:
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway aims to hire 150 engineers and tech developers over the next three years. Our team, based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre, will tackle core technology challenges that are critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and will influence the future of the next generation of services.
The centre in Galway is the first operation for Rent the Runway outside of the US. The new international office will enable the company to expand its engineering, product development, and Data Science footprint, and Rent the Runway's Galway based employees have the opportunity to launch or grow their careers across several roles in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the role:
As a Staff or Senior level Front End Engineer at Rent the Runway, you are curious, creative and prioritise user experience alongside great code. Your opinions on architecture and design are informed by your experience building applications supporting large user bases, but you’re still always open to learning more and working with a team to try new approaches and iterations on your features and products.
As a Front End Engineer on our Site Performance team, you will work with a passionate group of engineers to improve the scale and performance of our main customer site and its underlying systems. You’ll help revamp our frontend build processes, restructure our site architecture, and fine tune service calls for optimal performance.
What You'll Do:
- Improve our front-end infrastructure to optimise load times and scale and improve developer efficiency
- Architect efficient and reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications
- Build foundational UI components and systems to be used by our product engineers
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Collaborate with engineers and other teams to define project features and brainstorm ideas
- Work with business and technical stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code with an emphasis on maintainability and scalability
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers and lead by example
- Past experience building performant consumer-facing web applications at scale.
- An obsession with optimising client-side web applications for speed and performance
- Experience with performance profiling and debugging tools in your web browser of choice
- Past experience in cloud migrations is desirable
- An eye for responsive design and strong attention to detail
- Ability to pick up new tools and technologies as needed
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional development team
- Ability to prioritise important tasks and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, you can adapt your communications to suit your audience
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.