About Rent the Runway:
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway aims to hire 150 engineers and tech developers over the next three years. Our team, based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre, will tackle core technology challenges that are critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and will influence the future of the next generation of services.
The centre in Galway is the first operation for Rent the Runway outside of the US. The new international office will enable the company to expand its engineering, product development, and Data Science footprint, and Rent the Runway's Galway based employees have the opportunity to launch or grow their careers across several roles in Technology.
Our Quality Engineering thinks like our users and helps the wider Technology and Product team build features that work well for those users in all the ways they may interact with our systems. The team operates as a central QE department to ensure best practices and processes across the technology organisation. Our Software Engineers are embedded in various development teams collaborating across the Software Development Lifecycle, creating shared ownership of product features and code quality.
About the Role:
RTR is embarking on our journey to improve and scale our automation capability by growing our Software Quality Engineering team. Our goal is to drive a sustained focus on engineering excellence across our technology and product organisation by pursuing continuous improvement and supporting a maturation of our Software Development and Quality Engineering activities at each stage of the SDLC. We will achieve this through a considered investment in people, processes, and technology and are hiring Senior Full Stack engineers to join our team.
Are you are a self-starter, passionate about test automation, and ensuring a great user experience looking to work with a fun group of talented and driven engineers? In that case, this is the right role for you.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
What You’ll Do (Position Overview and Responsibilities):
- Ensure high-quality software by evaluating the design and architecture of our systems to introduce the relevant testing frameworks.
- Implement and ensure the adoption of frameworks and tools needed for all levels of testing our microservices based architecture - Unit, component, integration, UI, API, End-To-End.
- Implement custom tools to help test our systems. e.g. software and tools to allow us to simulate and test load in the warehouse systems.
- Analyse and critique current architecture and suggest changes to improve the systems - specifically with quality and testability in mind.
- Ensure cloud readiness for our applications. This will involve refactoring and code changes to ensure our services can run in a containerised environment.
- Establish the necessary CI/CD pipelines to execute all our testing.
- Put in place additional processes and tools to assess overall quality - e.g. code coverage analysis, static analysis tools, quality reporting, non-functional testing, KPIs and performance metrics tracking.
- Improve developer and quality processes across the organisation and track SDLC metrics. Ensure we have best practices, specifically with a view to quality, in our full SDLC, from requirements through to delivery.
- Be an advocate for quality in all areas of our product development. Influence a culture change and focus on Quality across the entire Engineering organisation.
Essential skills & attributes
- 5 + years of professional development experience with a specific focus on architecture and design for quality and testability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle with experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process.
- A strong knowledge of software quality assurance methodologies, tools and processes.
- Experience with continuous delivery methodologies & tools (Jenkins, Github actions)
- Desire to learn independently and introduce new technologies related to automation.
Desirable skills & attributes
- Knowledge of Java Web Services (Spring Boot, Play Framework, Apache Spark or similar)
- Hands on Kotlin experience
- Any familiarity with mobile development (IOS or Android) would be a bonus
- Familiarity with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of secure coding best practices
- Experience working with distributed message-driven applications.
- Experience working in a central team serving other engineering teams.
- Experience maintaining projects that are contributed to from outside the owning team
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.