Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway aims to hire 150 engineers and tech developers over the next three years. Our team, based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre, will tackle core technology challenges that are critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and will influence the future of the next generation of services.
The centre in Galway is the first operation for Rent the Runway outside of the US. The new international office will enable the company to expand its engineering, product development, and Data Science footprint and Rent the Runway's Galway based employees have the opportunity to launch or grow their careers across a number of roles in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Job:
As a Back End Engineer at Rent the Runway, you will directly contribute to our technical strategy, deliver some of the most innovative products in class, and collaborate with a diverse team of talented engineers. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again. We’re looking for a software engineer with server-side development experience to work on our core software services. You’ll be implementing critical product features and working on technical infrastructure to enable performance and scaling.
What You'll Do:
- Develop highly scalable systems using a variety of tools and languages, including Java, Ruby, and multiple open-source technologies
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Work closely with cross-functional teams
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder and removing roadblocks
- Help define architectural improvements to enable orders-of-magnitude growth in traffic and order volumes
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code
- BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3+ years of full-time professional software development experience ideally working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Fluency with computer science fundamentals
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, Java microservices, algorithms, and relational/NoSQL databases
- Experience working on backend architecture & design for mobile platforms (iOS - Swift, Objective-C)
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- A strong command of algorithms, data structures, and best practices
- Ability to prioritize important tasks
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pick up new tools and technologies as needed
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.