Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
Our Inventory and Operations Engineering teams focus on all of the parts of our business that make the customer experience possible. This includes building the technologies that power our financial, operational, distribution networks, and more– which all work together to create a seamless, first-of-it’s-kind customer experience.
About the Role:
Build out both a technical strategy and an engineering team to develop products that will manage, assess, & track the quality of items we own and increase their longevity. You'll report directly to our VP of Engineering for Inventory and Operations, and are responsible for finding unique, creative, technical solutions to some very complicated business needs that will continue to drive the success of our company into the future. This role will be primarily located at our NYC HQ but will frequent our Warehouse in Secaucus, NJ. We’re looking for someone who can think creatively around our full inventory lifecycle; manufacturing, repairs, quality tracking, and overall customer happiness.
What You’ll Do:
- Build out a new technical team both in our New York HQ and technical offices in Galway, Ireland
- Develop novel approaches to improve the longevity and profitability of our inventory
- Design technical strategy around how we collect, reason about, and action on inventory data
- Spend significant time in our warehouses to understand the physical aspects of our inventory lifecycle
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders
- Provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems, and infrastructure
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Lead prioritization efforts and provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- 2+ years of people management experience leading engineering teams
- Passionate about building truly innovative products that work behind the scenes to make it all happen
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need