Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
The subscription UX team at Rent the Runway is changing the way women get dressed every day. We design features for our members that bring them ongoing value, helping them create a personalized closet in the cloud that matches where they are in their life, and inspiring them to tell their stories and discover more about themselves through our burgeoning community.
About the Job:
The Senior Experience Designer (UX) on the subscription team will own the UX design process from ideation to launch across complex, retention-focused projects. You’re a great candidate if you enjoy being the voice of the user–using research, observation, data, and best practices to inform innovative new experiences–and thinking holistically about the impact of your work on both the customer journey and the business.
While a high level of autonomy and self-starting is crucial to success, so is the ability to collaborate with peers and cross-functional partners, including product managers, engineers, visual/UI designers, UX writers, and customer researchers. Flexibility and the ability to prioritize will make you successful in our results-oriented culture, as will the ability to perform under pressure, act with professionalism and maturity, and seamlessly manage multiple initiatives while bringing energy and creativity to work each day.
What You'll Do:
- Create innovative experiences that meet both business goals and user needs and expectations
- Design native app experiences that feel at home on iOS, as well as responsive web-based features
- Own the UX design throughout the lifecycle of a project, from the initial brief to ongoing consultation through implementation/launch
- Identify and create the best UX deliverables for a given project, from flow diagrams and prototypes that define a complex user flow, to detailed wireframes to define the information and interaction design of a new feature
- Facilitate and participate in cross-functional brainstorming sessions to define project objectives and discuss solutions
- Set up and run usability tests of low- and hi-fidelity prototypes
- Interface and collaborate with product managers, engineers, visual/UI designers, UX writers, and customer researchers
- Present concepts, wireframes, and UX strategies to stakeholders, clearly articulating project solutions and design decisions
- You have a bachelor’s degree, plus 7+ years of UX design experience, 4+ years of which were working on highly functional or transactional experiences
- You deliver creative, strategic, detailed solutions that always ladder back to user goals and business opportunities
- You have a strong understanding of UX design principles and the end-to-end UX process
- You can determine which UX activities will help the success of different types of projects
- You have experience conducting user testing and research with sound methodology
- You can easily communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- You prioritize tasks and meet deadlines under pressure with little management, and enjoy having a sense of accountability and ownership over your work
- You are comfortable presenting to stakeholders and executives
- You have experience working in an agile environment
- You have plenty of native app design experience
- You are proficient in Sketch and InVision
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need