At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with a loyal 10 million members who believe that rental is the future.
About our Team & Tech:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway aims to hire 150 engineers and tech developers over the next three years. The prospective team, to be based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre, will tackle core technology challenges that are critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and will influence the future of the next generation of services.
The new international office in Galway will enable the company to expand its engineering, product development, and Data Science footprint and new Rent the Runway employees will have the opportunity to launch or grow their careers across a number of roles in Technology. The centre in Galway will be the first operation for Rent the Runway outside of the US.
You will work within but not limited to these technologies: Dropwizard, Java, React, Typescript, Redux, MySql, Mongo, Ruby, Python, Kinesis, Jira, Git, Swift, Sinatra, React Native.
About the Job:
As a Technical Lead Engineer (known internally as Staff Engineer) for Community at Rent the Runway, you will directly contribute to our technical strategy by building social networking features to further unite our vibrant community of members all while collaborating with top engineers in the industry. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again. Many of our millions of members have used Rent the Runway for the most important events in their lives, and in the process, we are changing the meaning of ownership and revolutionising retail.
What You'll Do:
- Lead architecture and delivery of features to bring organic offline community behaviour onto our digital platforms, transforming our brand and user experience to be customer dominated and connected.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design to build community engagement features to connect our users to one another.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of strategic initiatives related to community.
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder, removing roadblocks, and determining when to build and when to leverage third party social platforms/tools.
- Lead prioritisation efforts, plan future roadmaps, and provide mentorship to others.
- Deeply care about the happiness and careers of others.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- Substantial experience designing community networks with a deep knowledge of social graphs and tagging systems.
- Deep experience with different types of data stores, including relational, NoSQL, and graph databases, with the ability to defend why one is a better fit for a given task than the other.
- A strong command of algorithms, data structures, and best practices, e.g. tree structures, recursion, OODP, etc.
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimisation with an aim toward performant and clean solutions.
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- Hands-on technical leadership, experience in a developer relations position, and/or people management experience.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems microservices.
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.