At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Job:
As Corporate Counsel, you will have an immediate impact on key aspects of Rent the Runway’s innovative business. You will partner directly with business and product teams across the company to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including commercial transactions, privacy, and intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on product and regulatory counseling and employment issues. You will field matters of first impression at the intersection of fashion and technology that demand creative, practical lawyering. If you like challenging old systems and want to create the future of fashion retail, then we want to hear from you. This role reports to the Senior Corporate Counsel.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as the lead attorney and advisor for Rent the Runway’s product initiatives. Advise internal teams, including marketing and product, on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products and initiatives.
- Analyze products and features built by Rent the Runway’s talented engineering and product teams and advise such teams with the ability to balance commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns.
- Design training programs for various business teams, including HR, Product, Engineering, Marketing and Content.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial and intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise on advertising and marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media and reviewing and clearing marketing content for publication.
- Create scalable processes for triaging a high volume of disparate legal issues from all areas of the business.
You Should Have:
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with legal issues related to engineering, marketing and product development for tech and e-commerce companies.
- Strong commercial negotiation and drafting skills.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!