At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with a loyal 10 million members who believe that rental is the future.
About our Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent the Runway aims to hire 150 engineers and tech developers over the next three years. The prospective team, to be based in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre, will tackle core technology challenges that are critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and will influence the future of the next generation of services.
The new international office in Galway will enable the company to expand its engineering, product development, and Data Science footprint and new Rent the Runway employees will have the opportunity to launch or grow their careers across a number of roles in Technology. The centre in Galway will be the first operation for Rent the Runway outside of the US.
About the Job:
We are always on the lookout for senior engineers with server-side development experience to work on our core RESTful services. We use a service-oriented architecture to power our mobile app, our website, and our warehouse technology. In this role, you will work on both new product features and technical infrastructure as we believe in building for the future to enable performance and scaling. You’ll be part of a group that owns our rapidly evolving reservation system and with it our customer promise.
What You'll Do:
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment on one of the most diverse tech teams in the world (Ranked 19 by Dear Tech People)
- Develop clean, testable, scalable systems using Java, Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, MySQL, Splunk, New Relic and a variety of other open-source technologies
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind
- Find architectural improvements to enable rapid growth in traffic and order volumes
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Mentor and learn from your teammates and foster an inclusive, empowering team dynamic
- Degree in computer science, software engineering or 5+ years of programming experience with a compiled language like Java, C#, C++
- You’ve shipped multiple large software projects and learned from the experiences
- Able to learn new tools and technologies quickly
- Experience working as part of a team software development effort
- Ability to manage your time and juggle competing priorities
- Exceptional communication skills
- Extensive Java skills or any prior Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, MySQL are a plus
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.