At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with a loyal 10 million members who believe that rental is the future.
About The Job:
At Rent the Runway, we are building more than your traditional retail location -- we are bringing the closet in the cloud to life. We are giving women access to the closet of her dreams and a physical manifestation of the RTR brand. As the Director of Retail Operations, you will oversee our current locations in NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, and LA, as well as any future expansion. You’ll be the primary conduit between our corporate and community strategies and how it comes to life in our locations, work with store leaders to create a culture of operational excellence and best-in-class customer experiences. You’ll also be the leader with other corporate functions, including fulfillment, technology, HR, CX, finance, legal, and more.
This is an exciting area that requires high energy, strong project management, excellent communication, and collaborative skills. This role is a mix of operations, marketing, analytics, planning, and strategy.
You will be responsible for driving results, creating operational consistency across all stores and providing innovative solutions that support key initiatives. This role manages multiple budgets, defines priorities and drives operational improvements and efficiencies by identifying opportunities and leading cross-functional initiatives.
- Own and manage all aspects of retail operations with a customer-first mentality
- Lead and develop retail leadership and act as the liaison for store managers with corporate and fulfillment teams
- Assess business trends and actively partner with corporate stakeholders in order to strategize local growth and drive business initiatives
- Manage vendor relations and inventory logistics, including assortment and packaging
- Deliver optimal productivity in stores through operational excellence, process improvement and consistent resolution of challenges
- Partner with the corporate tech team in order to create tech roadmap and adjust based on business needs
- Analyze key performance metrics and provide guidance for each store to achieve goals and profitability targets; evaluate financial and business data into actionable insights to drive results
- Work with corporate teams and store leaders to develop community in stores
- Present ideas and directions that lead others to action; demonstrates strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or a related field
- 8+ years of management experience; 2+ years in a field operations or multi-store operational role
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint and retail math
- Deep understanding of inventory reconciliation / cycle counts and Inventory Process
- Understanding of retail landscape and ability to recruit key talent
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills with the ability to successfully lead large teams
- Strong organizational and project management skills from conceptualization and implementation to follow up
- “People person” able to build relationships across all levels and departments
- Must have a strong sense of urgency, with demonstrated ability to be resourceful, creative and prioritize when faced with multiple demands and challenging deadlines
- Ability to influence at all levels; demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team and be assertive in driving successful management strategies
- Effective in a variety of presentation and meeting settings including one-on-one, small working groups, and executive or external stakeholders
- Some travel required to each of the 5 stores, up to 20% travel time
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.