At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with a loyal 10 million members who believe that rental is the future.
About the Team:
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Job:
An experienced seniors systems or operations engineer who likes to collaborate with software engineers when solving problems at scale. You've supported large-scale production systems in the past and feel strongly about stability, high-availability, and uptime; you take a metrics and SLA based approach to everything. You're passionate about Linux systems and feel confident in your ability to tune everything from the boot loader to the TCP stack.
You're incredibly comfortable in scripting and automation; you love tools like Puppet or Ansible, but are clever enough to pull out the ultimate bash one-liner in a pinch. You might have experience racking and stacking in a data center, and if you do, you know how to translate that knowhow to cloud-based systems and networks. You're confident in your ability to deal with production issues, plan for the future, and help others learn how to do the same.
What You'll Do:
- Establish, document and implement best practice architectures across dedicated and cloud infrastructure (VMWare/Rackspace and AWS)
- Automating the creation of Infrastructure
- Interacting with and supporting engineering teams
- Troubleshooting and resolution of production issues
- Monitoring and review of logs for anomalous behavior and security concerns
- Document, develop, and improve operational practices and procedures
- General Linux and Network Administration
- Measuring capacity and performance trends to determine long-term Infrastructure needs.
- Participating in a 24/7 on-call support in a rotation
- Continually optimizing and evolving our server configuration, network and security architecture
- Min. BS Computer Science or equivalent
- (5+ years) of Linux (CentOS, Debian and/or RedHat) architecture, deployment, administration, networking, performance monitoring/tuning, security hardening, troubleshooting and production operations
- Working knowledge of System Monitoring tools: Nagios, Icinga, NewRelic, Splunk
- Experience with packet sniffing applications (Snort, Wireshark, Netmon, etc)
- Architecting and administering services on AWS (VPC, EC2, S3, CloudWatch, ECS)
- Experience with F5 BIG-IP Load Balancers
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP solid understanding of network security concepts
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible or Chef
- Experience implementing and maintaining disaster recovery strategies
- Understanding of Content Delivery Network operations (Akamai, CloudFront)
- Source Control (Git, Bitbucket)
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Bamboo) & Container Concepts (LXD, Docker)
- Security: WAF, Iptables, IDS/IPS, reverse proxies, SIEM
- Package creation and software repository management
- Experience in regulated environments (e.g. PCI, SOX) and ITIL
- Significant experience with the configuration and management of the following software: Apache 2 (httpd), NGINX, MySQL, BIND, RabbitMQ including performance tuning
- Experience with Terraform or CloudFormation
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.