Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
You'll be joining 250 engineers across Frontend, Backend, SRE and QA. We're organised into cross-functional development teams assigned to specific verticals.
This role is open for several teams, and we will define the exact team that you will be joining during the interview process based on the business needs and your preferences.
Regardless of the specific team, you will be working on building tools, APIs and integrations for one of our products.
Our backend is built with Elixir and Phoenix, with a Postgres database. We use React and Nextjs for our front-end. Gitlab is used as a version control tool, issue tracker and a CI/CD solution. Our applications are hosted on AWS. We fully rely on our CI for deployments and deploy multiple times per day.
What this job can offer you
- Complex and meaningful challenges — solving them will enable people and businesses to live and operate in any country of the world.
- Opportunity to have a significant impact on the business — we are still very early in our journey as a company, and each change you make today is amplified by the company's growth.
- A lot of freedom to organize your work and life — you are not bound to daily standups, recurring meetings or other ceremonies.
- Competitive salary, stock options, unlimited PTO and a set of perks and benefits.
- A supportive and kind work environment where we would like you to challenge the dogmas and pursue innovation!
- Strong team of experienced engineers who will support and facilitate your professional growth.
What you bring
Must have (professional experience):
- 2 years (minimum) working with Elixir and Phoenix or 4 years (minimum) working as a Backend Engineer
- Postgres (or similar)
- CI/CD (GitLab, Github, Jenkins or similar)
If you don't have experience working with Elixir one month training and ongoing learning on the job will be provided.
Nice to have
- • Lead the development of major team-scoped projects, participate in cross-team initiatives
• Actively participate in product work in the team: provide feedback, suggest solutions to the problems. Use technical insights and expertise to suggest product improvements.
• Maintain good understanding of the team’s domain, both from product and engineering sides.
• Provide feedback on code reviews
• Contribute to the shared codebase
• Debug and solve technical and business issues
• Participate in non-team activities, such as support rotations, hiring process, RFC discussions, etc.
• Mentor and provide guidance to other engineers
• Investigate, propose and participate in implementation of improvements to our platform
• Design and implement APIs with performance, scalability, and maintainability in mind.
- Team: Engineering
- Location: Anywhere in the World
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote's Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and fair equity pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labor practices and therefore we ensure to pay above in-location rates. We hope to inspire other companies to support global talent-hiring and bring local wealth to developing countries.
At first glance our salary bands seem quite wide - here is some context. At Remote we have international operations and a globally distributed workforce. We use geo ranges to consider geographic pay differentials as part of our global compensation strategy to remain competitive in various markets while we hiring globally.
The base salary range for this full-time position is between $51,850 USD to $174,950 USD. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location, and our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay for the successful candidate in this role is dependent upon many factors such as location, transferable or job-related skills, work experience, relevant training, business needs, and market demands. The base salary range may be subject to change.
- (async) Application is reviewed by our recruiters
- Interview with our recruiter
- Interview with an Engineering Manager or an Engineering Team Leader
- (async) Code exercise
- (async) Code exercise review
- Interview with the members of the engineering team
- Prior employment verification check
- work from anywhere
- unlimited personal time off (minimum 4 weeks)
- quarterly company-wide day off for self care
- flexible working hours (we are async)
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- mental health support services
- stock options
- learning budget
- home office budget & IT equipment
- budget for local in-person social events or co-working spaces
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
How to apply
- Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
- We kindly ask you to submit your application and CV in English, as this is the standardised language we use here at Remote.
- If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
We will ask you to voluntarily tell us your pronouns at interview stage, and you will have the option to answer our anonymous demographic questionnaire when you apply below. As an equal employment opportunity employer it’s important to us that our workforce reflects people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences and this data will help us to stay accountable. We thank you for providing this data, if you chose to.