About the company
Remind, the leading communication platform in education, helps educators reach students and parents where they are: On their phones. With more than 31 million active users, we’re one of the fastest-growing companies in education technology, but we have our sights set on something bigger: giving every student the opportunity to succeed.
Our investors include First Round Capital, GSV, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers, and Social Capital, and we want you to join us.
About this role
Data Engineering at Remind encompasses a variety of activities, including event tracking and aggregation, data warehouse design, pipeline architecture, data privacy, and promoting a healthy data culture across the company. During peak season, our data pipeline handles over 300 million events per day! Technologies we use include Redshift and S3 for data warehousing; SQL, EMR, and Spark for data processing; and Luigi for workflow management.
Remote work is ok within +/-3 hours of Pacific Time.
Some of the projects that Data Engineers at Remind have worked on this year:
- Using Spark to process terabytes of event and entity data in order to surface usage analytics to our customers
- Restructuring our data warehouse and data lake to optimize query performance and cost
- Tracking and using dimension history in our analytics pipelines
- Improving the security and privacy of user data
- Others enjoy working with you because of your positive attitude and technical skills
- You've been involved in the design of a data pipeline and would be able to design a pipeline from scratch
- You have expertise in one or more workflow systems, such as Airflow, Luigi, or DBT
- You are proficient with Apache Spark
- You have experience with streaming technologies such as Kafka or Kinesis
- You have strong knowledge of SQL, and are familiar with data warehousing technologies and practices (Amazon Redshift experience is a plus)
- You have significant experience with two or more programming languages, including Python
- You collaborate successfully with data scientists, full-stack engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders
What you'll do:
- Ensure our data pipeline serves the needs of customers in a robust, flexible, and performant way, while protecting the privacy of our users
- Lead the design of our next-generation data infrastructure
- Improve the testability of our nightly batch pipeline
- Help define and prioritize data engineering projects
- Write design docs and project plans
- Mentor other engineers
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% health coverage for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Parking and commuter benefits
- Catered meals and fully stocked kitchen
Remind is an equal opportunity employer, and we're committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We aim to represent the students, teachers, and parents we serve, and we welcome, support, and empower all the diverse individuals in our community.