Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join our leadership team. As a studio leader, you will play a huge part in creating a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. You will have ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral (and new!) part of our leadership team, you will be challenged to solve complex problems, drive change, and challenge our thinking. We are looking for a positive, humble, and highly-motivated leader who can teach us a thing or two. Running a high-performing studio is a collective effort, and you will play a critical role in that effort – shaping and guiding the future growth of the studio.
As our COO, you will…
- Partner with our General Manager to build a high-performing studio that supports great talent in doing their best work
- Design and drive the strategic vision and roadmap for our operational teams
- Build and lead a high-performing operational team (Talent, Marketing & Communications, Space Planning, IT, Legal, Finance & BI) that is aligned with supporting our developers in doing their best work
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the studio, and keep the GM appraised of significant events
- Support our GM in developing and overseeing the long-term business strategies of the studio
- Collaborate with our GM to ensure that our values, people and operational teams are continuously in alignment with our product goals
- Support the execution and quality of our games by driving the continuous improvement of our people and processes to enable talent and innovation at all levels of the studio
- Create focus for your teams and operational leaders – cut the noise, guide them through priority setting, and hold them accountable to constantly executing on meaningful work
- Partner with our Executive Producers to ensure they have the support needed to deliver on our studio roadmap
- Partner with our GM and Finance Director to lead our annual budgeting and operational plans that support our long-term financial strategy
- Assess and manage risks to the studio – whether it be projects, people or resourcing
- Build a positive work environment focused on accountability, results and having a ton of fun
Ideally, you are...
- Experienced – 7+ years of senior leadership experience in operations in a comparable industry; ideally you’ve worked in games, entertainment or tech
- Strong understanding of business operations (HR, Finance, IT, etc) and experience leading cross-functional teams
- Substantial experience working in companies that have gone through high-change or growth
- Post-secondary education in business, leadership, marketing and/or game development
- Results driven – you have an impressive track record of building teams, rallying people, and consistently achieving results
- Service minded – you are laser focused on providing best-in-class experiences to our candidates, employees and players
- Player focused – you understand how the work our operational teams do impacts the quality of projects we deliver to our players
- A clear communicator – you understand the impact of your words and actions in encouraging and activating those around you
- A change agent – you lead change, explain ‘the why’ behind change and pursue improvement relentlessly
And believe in...
- Relationships matter – you listen, care deeply, ask questions, and understand the role that people play in our studio success
- Managerial courage – you are transparent, practice direct feedback, make decisions, and deal head-on with problems when they come up!
- Leading by example – you create accountability, apologize when you’ve made a mistake, and practice what you preach
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.