Do you believe in pushing creative boundaries to set the quality bar within the industry?
Are you passionate about building and inspiring talented teams to create an awesome AAA game experience for players?
If so, having the responsibility to drive the vision for an exciting unannounced title by being our Art Director, might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a permanent full-time Art Director to join the team at our HQ in Vancouver, Canada. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral part of our team, you will create, drive, and inspire the visualization process, from collaborative conceptualization to final product. You will have an opportunity to build the vision and set the quality bar for the product at a level that is amongst the top tier within our industry.
As an Art Director, you will play a key role in developing our studio and products…
- Conceptualize, articulate, evangelize and ultimately deliver a consistent and compelling visual direction for the franchise that supports its brand identity, enhances the player experience and is competitive in the marketplace
- Take on the role of a storyteller to translate visual direction to various audience groups, including production teams, conference attendees, and publishers
- Work at a high conceptual level and at a granular micro level during all phases of production
- Practically adapt and re-prioritize artistic vision to changes, both technical, creative and production while identifying ongoing market forces and trends
- Empower and support internal and external teams of developers to deliver the artistic vision
- Create and maintain the standards, processes and procedures related to the art discipline
- Provide active and on-going communication regarding the state of the art team, and review staffing plans regularly and proactively in relation to the current project phase and objectives
- Actively involved with Production in delivering performance reviews for the Art team
- Ensure our related art tools (software and otherwise) are cutting edge while keeping long term success in mind
- Facilitate the mindset of personal accountability throughout the production pipeline – you light a fire under the team and celebrate group wins!
- Champion an emphasis on facilitating a team spirit that aims to create the highest quality product
- High level of emotional intelligence, proactive & nimble in approach while being focused on the health of the team
- Ensure the ongoing training and development of all Relic artists by maintaining and improving their art skills via suggested readings, design forums, recommended conventions, etc.
- Reach conclusions and propose decisions on art style, manner and creation – while offering positive and constructive feedback
We’re looking for someone who has…
- At least 5+ years as an Art or Assistant Art Director with at least one shipped title from pre-production to final
- Post-secondary education in a related field (visual/technical arts)
- A proven ability of leveraging a range of methods to solve problems when interacting with discipline leads (design, narrative, audio, engineers)
- Must possess an ability to conceptualize using a range of skills and sensibilities such as, illustration, modeling, textures, and other benchmark assets to inspire the team
- A keen eye on what works visually or doesn’t - you have a firm understanding of the big picture and how the final product aligns with studio vision
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience with RTS games either as a developer or as a player
- Versed in film, cinematography, photography
What’s in it for you? You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Interested? Please apply through our careers page (www.relic.com) with a resume and ! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Next Steps? Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you include a portfolio as part of your application.
Have you heard? We’re making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social: