Do you believe in pushing creative boundaries to set the quality bar within the industry?
Are you passionate about building and inspiring talented teams to create an awesome AAA game experience for players?
If so, having the responsibility to drive the vision for an exciting unannounced title by being our Art Director, might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a permanent full-time Art Director to join the team at our HQ in Vancouver, Canada. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral part of our team, you will create, drive, and inspire the visualization process, from collaborative conceptualization to final product. You will have an opportunity to build the vision and set the quality bar for the product at a level that is amongst the top tier within our industry.
As our Art Director, you will play a key role in developing our studios…
- Develop, articulate, evangelize and ultimately deliver a visual direction for the franchise that supports its brand identity and enhances the player experience.
- Empower and support teams of local and outsourced artists to over deliver upon the artistic vision
- Establish and communicate a consistent and visionary bar for art within the studio
- Ensure our related art tools (software and otherwise) are cutting edge while keeping long term success in mind
- Create and maintain the standards, processes and procedures related to the art discipline
- Provide active and on-going communication regarding the state of the art team, and review staffing plans regularly and proactively in relation to the current project phase and objectives
- Partner with Production teams to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs
- Assist the Production team in writing and presenting performance reviews for the Art team
- Serve as a constant internal game critic
- Partner with Studio Leadership to ensure the art team is healthy and strong
- Ensure the ongoing training and development of all Relic artists by maintaining and improving their art skills via suggested readings, design forums, recommended conventions, etc.
- Review, direct, summarize and present on style conclusions in an effective manner, clearly outlining pros and cons of style choices while providing feedback in a positive and constructive way to a variety of game art disciplines
We’re looking for someone who has…
- At least 5+ years of experience working within the games industry & loves it!
- Shipped title(s) as a Lead Artist or Art Director
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- A proven ability to visually solve problems in collaboration with the broader game team including other artists, designers, narrative, audio, engineers and discipline leads
- A broad range of personal artistic talent and has the skills needed to produce images, models, textures, and other benchmark assets that will inspire the team
- A solution oriented mindset that is industry savvy in order to help guide our leaders to make effective decisions
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience with RTS games either as a developer or as a player
What’s in it for you?
In addition to working on AAA games and learning a ton, we offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you include a demo reel as part of your application.