Do you dream of working within a team of experienced professional game developers?
Are you a life-long gamer with a passion to create?
If so, our Game Design Internship might be the perfect fit for you!
About Relic Entertainment:
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and we’re on the hunt for a Game Design Intern to join one of our game development teams working on an upcoming unannounced title. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually aim higher. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve challenging problems.
About the Internship:
The Brian Wood Memorial Game Design Internship commemorates the work of Brian Wood, a Relic Entertainment employee who tragically passed away in September 2010. To honor and continue his contribution to the international games community, as well as in memory of his passions in life, Relic created this internship program for students who exhibit a similar passion and excellence in game design.
Since February 2011, we’ve had the opportunity to extend 15 game design students for a 4-month internship with us. Currently, we’re excited to continue the tradition by selecting 2 students from this year’s graduating class to work on exciting projects that impact the development of titles at our Vancouver based studio.
As our Game Design Intern you will…
- Explore your Interests: You will be placed in an area in line with your design interests.
- Gain Mentorship: You will work with a senior design mentor to hone your skills and abilities, and be taught and mentored through the processes we use to develop content and ship games.
- Be Able to Contribute: You will be given content to develop and own over the course of the internship and have the ability to influence systems in games. You will also participate in scrums, planning, presentations and design meetings.
- Collaborate: You will work with a variety of different disciples including engineering, art, production and audio.
- Gain Exposure: You will be exposed to different processes and phases of the game development life cycle.
- Give Feedback: You will playtest the game with the team, and have the opportunity to give feedback on how to make it better.
- Be a Relican: You will be treated as a full-fledged member of the development team (aka a Relican) and receive a game credit when the title is published. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in Relic’s cultural events, including charity endeavors, social events, and sports.
- Have Fun: We make games after all!
We’re looking for someone who has…
- A passion for games, especially strategy games, and lots of enthusiasm
- The ability to work independently
- Finely tuned problem solving abilities
- A critical eye for games
- Great communication and presentation skills
- An understanding of game design theory and practices
- An interest in keeping up with industry trends and is looking towards the future
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Played previous Relic games
- Familiarity with Relic’s COH2 modding tools
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton.
Please use this portal to submit your application to us - you'll see all the details below.
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. The anticipated start date is early September.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.