Do you have what it takes to imagine the future of the RTS genre?
Can you help forge the path of strategy gaming and how people play?
If so, our Senior Campaign Designer role might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and Age of Empires, and we’re on the hunt for a permanent full-time Senior Campaign Designer to join our unannounced project at our HQ in Vancouver, Canada. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As a Senior Campaign Designer, you will…
- Set our Design Bar
- Concept, design and implement a top-quality campaign, including strategy mechanics, player-led narrative and campaign meta mechanics.
- Working closely with core gameplay on mission design and RTS gameplay to deliver a cohesive campaign experience.
- Develop game systems, controls, interfaces and interactive elements that can deliver on strategy gameplay goals
- Create and maintain design documentation, including feature specifications and implementation guidelines.
- Oversee and guide the campaign narrative and presentation.
- Work collaboratively with all disciplines to deliver a player-first, holistic game experience
- Balance production constraints with design ambition.
- Ensure campaign is in alignment with greater game vision and the team as a whole
- Act as a Leader on your team
- Articulate creative goals and inspire and align the team around them
- Work with the leadership team to contribute to planning and scheduling,
- Proactively identify areas of improvement, facilitate solutions and find opportunities.
- Communicate and foster ideas with the team, solicit feedback and ensure buy in
- Anticipate, identify and articulate problem areas and develop solutions
- Mentor junior designers
- Able to solicit and synthesize feedback from all disciplines and levels.
- Be a positive value add on the team. The team will be better by having you on it!
We’re looking for someone who has…
- A deep passion for strategy games
- Lives and breathes games and game development
- A love for iteration and a desire to push the boundaries of what can be done
- A strong understanding of game design theory, with the ability to design and articulate gameplay and mechanics
- Able to develop and clearly communicate complex ideas, features and gameplay mechanics
- A strong grip on industry trends within the strategy genre and the broader AAA gaming market
- 5+ years of senior design experience on AAA console or PC games
- Multiple shipped games in a senior designer capacity
- Experience mentoring, leading or instructing other designers
- Developed gameplay from paper designs to completion
- Developed single-player content with an understanding of pacing and narrative elements
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Workflow or tools improvement experience
- Worked on turn-based strategy games
- Strong Relic IP knowledge
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, it includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great addition to the Relic team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Have you heard? We're making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social: