Do you love games, and are an expert in creating polished, yet functional UX?
Are you a human-centric designer who is focused on crafting world-class in-game experiences?
If so, our Lead UX/UI Designer role might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award-winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, (and now!) Age of Empires IV and we’re on the hunt for a Lead UX/UI Designer to work in our Vancouver studio. This soon to be Relican will join our UX/UI team supporting our exciting unannounced project. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
This leadership role requires an individual who is excited to drive our UI/UX team forward, share genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games, human-centred design and learning about (and share!) emerging UI technology and trends.
As our Lead UX/UI Designer, you will…
- Lead the UX/UI team from a creative, technical, schedule and day-to-day perspective.
- Liaise with the art director, production and UR - ensuring all UI milestones and goals are met on time.
- Ensure and deliver on an innovative, attractive, and functional user experience – you’ll work closely with our artists, game designers, engineers and UR to achieve this.
- Communicate the vision of the franchise’s UI and provide feedback to our teams – providing feedback will be essential in ensuring the visual quality of your designs comes together in the finished experience.
- Conceptualize and prototype – you’ll partner with artists, game designers, engineers, and UR to drive and test the game’s user interface.
- Act as a HUD interactions expert, specifying both front-end and in-game HUD interactions through wireframes, prototypes, user journeys and more.
- Be our architect of where information lives and how it's presented to the player.
- Collaborate with game designers and UR to communicate the intent of game features to the players.
- Balance the needs of game design, art, marketing, player expectations, and more, to create an engaging & seamless product.
- Have a natural ability to understand the intent of our game design and how to make that design come to life through UI.
- Understand the importance of (and be able to action) giving feedback to other areas - Art, Audio, FX, etc. - on how their work is or isn’t meeting UX requirements.
We’re looking for someone who has…
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a Lead role with at least 1 shipped AAA title.
- Post-secondary education in Interaction Design, Visual Design, UX, HCI or related fields.
- A portfolio of work that showcases UX and interaction design skills, and high-level problem-solving. Please include this portfolio link in the application below!
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design tools.
- Rapid prototyping skills, the ability to bring interfaces to life with usability in mind.
- Familiar with high and low fidelity prototyping tools, such as Sketch, Framer, Origami or similar.
- Familiarity with display types and the ability to support a variety of screen resolutions.
- Deep understanding of UX principles and a how to apply them to games.
- Experience using various UX design methods - contextual inquiry, card sorting, user journeys, personas, stakeholder interviews, wireframes, etc.
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience with WPF, XAML and Microsoft Blend
- Knowledge of 3D tools such as Maya, 3D Max, C4D or similar.
- Traditional 2D sketching, illustration, and strong conceptual art skills.
- Experience with data analysis and visualization in tools like Excel, Tableau, etc.
- Exceptional visual design skills (i.e., composition, layout, typography, color theory.)
- Conducted user testing, survey design/analyst and other research methodologies.
- Comfortable working with 3D assets, basic lighting, and positioning models.
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself, provide your portfolio details and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.
Have you heard? We’re making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social: