Do you have a love for games paired with a passion for user-centred design?
Are you an expert in crafting beautiful, yet usable User Interfaces?
If so, our User Interface Designer role might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award-winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and now Age of Empires IV, and we’re on the hunt for a permanent, full-time User Interface Designer to join our Vancouver studio. This soon to be Relican will join our User Interface Team supporting our exciting unannounced project. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As our User Interface Designer, you will…
- Conceptualize, prototype, and implement the game’s UI and HUD – you’ll partner with Artists, Designers, Engineers, UX and UR to drive them and test the game’s user interface.
- Create stunning game assets – this will include menus, HUDs and icons that depict various units, gear, upgrades and abilities.
- Build and maintain the UI Design System – by leading this, you will be responsible for the implementing and maintaining the high-quality bar of the UI Design System.
- Ensure and deliver on an innovative, attractive, and functional user experience – you’ll work closely with the Art Director, UI engineers, UX and UR to achieve this.
- Communicate the vision of the franchise’s brand through the UI – collaborate with the Art Director, Marketing Manager and various team members to ensure the brand’s language is cohesive and reflected in the UI and its presentation.
- Collaborate with UX, UR and Game Designers to communicate the intent of game features to the players.
We’re looking for someone who has…
- 5+ years of relevant experience with at least 2 shipped AAA titles.
- Post-secondary education in Interaction or Visual Design, or related fields.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects or other visual design tools.
- Expectational visual design skills (i.e., composition, layout, typography, colour theory.)
- A keen eye for usability and clarity.
- Motion graphics skills, the ability to bring interfaces to life with usability in mind.
- Comfortable working with 3D assets, basic lighting, and positioning models.
- Familiarity with display types and the ability to support a variety of screen resolutions.
- Understanding of core UX principles.
- The ability to work well with a team in a dynamic, cross-discipline, and iterative setting.
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience with WPF.
- Familiar with high and low fidelity prototyping tools, such as Sketch, Framer, Origami or similar.
- Familiar with Atomic Design methodology or has implemented a design system.
- Worked and collaborated with UX and UR functions.
- Conducted user testing.
- Knowledge of 3D tools.
What’s in it for you?
In addition to working on AAA games and learning a ton, we offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan and retirement savings plan.On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.
Have you heard? We're making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social: